Meet the "New" Weber Summit Kamado

So what is the diferences between the Summit and the Kamado non table version?

My 20 year old performer is on its last leg.

Could the Kamado replace my wsm and my performer?

Most definitely. I sold all three of my wsm and my performer to be able to get the grilling center a few months ago. This thing can go 225-250 for over 16 hours and the amazing thing is it hardly uses any charcoal. I’ve also raised the grate all the way to the top and gotten it to 700 plus degrees for searing steaks. It truly is the best of both worlds and does it all.

I own two kettles and a Weber gas grill as well as an Akorn. I can’t see buying this over something like a Kamado Joe or Akorn. It’s just so expensive for what it is. No doubt it’s probably nice quality but these will be on CL or FB for $300 after a year or so.

It's clear Weber erred in the pricing and marketing of the original version. They realized this over time. Then, they couldn't simply make a drastic price reduction without alienating existing owners. The solution for them was to make minor changes in the design, and change the name of the units. The base version is significantly cheaper now, but the only real difference is the loss of the gas charcoal lighter. I think this will appeal to a much wider group, and be a big hit for them.

BTW- I can't fault anyone for buying the original version. Some viewed it as overpriced- but a quality grill can last a long time. I've got one on my back porch that's 25+ years old, and still going strong. I'll be firing it up in a few hours. The cost is a distant memory.

MSRP for an 18" Kamado Joe is comparable to the Summit Charcoal grilling center. To each their own, I had the previous model Kamado Joe and ended up giving it to my brother...I like the Summit so much more.

Can't speak for these two new models...But I assume as long as the actual cooking vessel is made of the same material/specs, you're getting a good piece of equipment.

I don't know how many people you'd find that bought the original summit charcoal model and doesn't love it.

So what is the diferences between the Summit and the Kamado non table version?

Just the absence of the gas charcoal starter and a slightly different base. The original is being discontinued.

I've had the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center for over 3 years now and have never once had a problem with the gas assist. I clean it out about once every 6 months but that's about it. It works fine for me in either grate position.

Deals can be had if you look. I got mine not too long after release and got $500 off MSRP

Yeah, it was probably priced too high, but I absoultely love it.

Good news about your gas starter. You scored a nice discount too.

I can’t see buying this over something like a Kamado Joe or Akorn. It’s just so expensive for what it is.

The 24" Kamado Joe Big Joe II lists for $2,000, and the Big Joe III lists for $2,600. This is where the Weber can really take some market share. I agree the Akorn is a nice value.

I wonder if the diffuser is included in these new versions.

That was a subject of speculation before the new model went up on the Weber website.

It is listed as a feature in the new base model.

Good news.

“Dual-walled insulated steel”, so not a true Kamado in my book. I think I’ll hang onto my XL BGE for a while... ;)

If my Primo ever bit the dust (God forbid), that $999 one would fit the bill just fine and would be on my short list.

I own two kettles and a Weber gas grill as well as an Akorn. I can’t see buying this over something like a Kamado Joe or Akorn. It’s just so expensive for what it is. No doubt it’s probably nice quality but these will be on CL or FB for $300 after a year or so.

As a Kamado I think it's competitive. It's substantially larger and better made than an Acorn. Size and performance wise, it's similar to a Big Joe or XL BGE and cheaper than either. It's a heck of a lot easier to move than either of this as well to the extent that's important. Personally I'd get a Big Joe if I wanted another Kamado but that's more because of aesthetics than a belief that it's an objectively better choice.

As I mentioned earlier, as originally marketed basically as a Performer that could smoke it wasn't a great deal. Not a problem for folks on this site that knew what it was but not ideal for the larger and less informed populace.

How do these do with two zone cooking? I often like to sear on one side of my kettle then move to the other side, put on the lid, and roast til done. I know with BGEs if I keep the lid open too long, the temp gets away from me. How does this cooker do with that?

I am intrigued by the $999 version. I have more than enough cookers, but haven't bought a new one in years. I am sort of tempted to sell (most) of the others and go with this. Continuing to simplify my life and just have 1 (or 2 or 3) great cookers instead of 10+ old ones :)

Hmm.. If I wanted a Kamado style cooker.. I'd go with the Grilla Grillz Kong :D

Dang - that's a really great price on a Kamado...not "really" looking but I'd been going back and forth that if I wanted a kamado that it'd be between a Big Joe II (or III) vs a Weber Charcoal Summit.

Now, if one of these new E6 units came down to the same price as a Grilla Grillz Kong, I'd take the Weber just due less potential issues (e.g.; crazing, etc.). Of course, I'm not all that knowledgeable about kamados but they look like they retain heat really well and are a bit friendlier on the charcoal consumption.

This is now the cheapest 24 inch kamado on the market. If stores will promote it I believe it will be a huge seller. That was a problem I had when I went to order mine at ace their “grill guy” didn’t even know what it was. His first words were actually “the summit is a gas line isn’t it?”

This is now the cheapest 24 inch kamado on the market. If stores will promote it I believe it will be a huge seller. That was a problem I had when I went to order mine at ace their “grill guy” didn’t even know what it was. His first words were actually “the summit is a gas line isn’t it?”

Weber hasn’t marketed the summit charcoal right from the beginning, and I ain’t even a marketing guy...

Anyone had experience using a full size drum and a Weber Charcoal Summit.
I am considering one or the other and would be interested to hear any
opinions as to how they compare.

Back