Me and my Forum Buddys had a get together...

where did you get the wraps for the fattes
and how many people did you feed :eusa_clap
57_mb2_009_1.jpg

*sniff* That's just so beautiful.

A couple of questions:

1. What exactly is "Spiessbraten"?

Looks like pork tenderloin cooked on a rotisserie
I found this:

Spiessbraten

Spiessbraten (in Idar Oberstein where it is famous, they call it schwenkbraten, which means that it's cooked on a "swing" grill).
Pork tenderloin 3/4 inch thick (the more marbled, the better).
Liberally sprinkle cutlet seasoning, garlic salt, on the pork. (Germans use a spice called liebstockel (Known as Lovage in english), but I haven't been able to find it here in the states). Layer between onion slices 1/4 inch thick in a sealed container (tupperware). For larger groups there can be any number of layers that will fit in your container (layer of onions, then a layer of cutlets that have been seasoned, then another layer of onions, then another layer of cutlets, lastly covered with a layer of onions.) Turn container every 30 minutes or so..or whenever you happen to think about it. It's best to let it marinade all day, or even overnight (in the refrigerator for an overnighter) - but at least 4 hours. The juice from the onions will tenerize and flavor the meat. Best to grill or broil meat after all this. The very best way is to cook it is on a "swing". This is a grill suspended from a tripod which cooks over the coals that you just keep moving while the pork cooks. Americans have a phobia about undercooking pork, but this is best when it is cooked medium. Overcooking it dries it out and ruins the quality. Serve with spazel and/or pom frites.
Added suggestion: Being thriftful, and also liking onions, I take the spiced up onions that the meat has marinaded in, and fry them up in a little oil and butter. It looks like a big batch of fried onions, but they cook down, and they're great with the pork cutlets. I don't recall the Germans doing this, but I like it.
enjoy
By: Larry Mentzer

Wow some great pics. That is a lot of food, but I guess for 60 people you will need a lot of food.

makes me hungry.

OOOOOOOOOOHWEEEEEEEEEE thats some mighty fine looking food...what are the directions and how long of swim to get there. Very impressive. Good job. What part of Germany are you in?

After looking at all those pictures:
I want to laugh...
I want to cry...
But mostly I want to eat...

That event looks awesome.

There's drool on my keyboard now...

What a gathering!

When's the next one? Time for a new stamp on my passport!

:eek:

Wow, i didnt expect that many reactions.

Next time i´ll give you guys a call well in advance :wink:

So...how did Suzie perform under all that pressure? I really like her design.

She did really well, considering im still gonna have to learn the pit and fire control a bit and it was her maiden cook, temperatures were very even and constant.

where did you get the wraps for the fattes
and how many people did you feed :eusa_clap
57_mb2_009_1.jpg

I bought those from the bbq-guru ( www.thebbqguru.com ). Those fatties were a first try and 8 people got a half one each. They were absolutely delicious.

*sniff* That's just so beautiful.

A couple of questions:

1. What exactly is "Spiessbraten"?

57_mb2_060_1.jpg

2. Do the ribs there always come with that much fat on them?

57_mb2_042_1.jpg

Spiessbraten is a pork roast, preferably loin or butt, that is cooked on a rotisserie. Theres many stuffing recipes, the one we had here were stuffed with onions and bacon and with red sausage.

The ribs arent that fat, the whitish colour comes from an overnight soak in apple juice, apple cider and a spice mixture.

Just curious, what was that cone shaped thing that was setting on top of the Weber charcoal chimney?

Its called a "Glutfix" , some sort of chimney to make a stronger draft and get coals started quicker.
You can put it directly on top of coals but it fits exactly on a charcoal chimney. The chimney lights up twice as fast and produces way less dirty smoke because of the draft.

glutmaster.jpg

DM

what was the large meat wrapped in bacon. I must know.
Looks like a killer time.

what was the large meat wrapped in bacon. I must know.
Looks like a killer time.

I guess youre talking about his one ?

57_mb2_037_1.jpg

Its a stuffed Pork Butt roast, wrapped in Bacon and Pig Fat. The fat melts slowly and gives awesome taste and juicyness.

Dont remember the stuffing, though. :oops:

DM

mmmmmmmmmm.......I'm hungry.......

I really like the rotisserie, if my wife gets me a mig for my birthday, then I will have to make me one. Any more pictures on that unit?

Back