Mardi Gras pastrami....ish

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
Have to do something for our Krewe food challenge so I am adapting a reubenesque take on a corn beef brisket. Opened the bag, threw away the seasoning pack and soaked the brisket overnite changing is he water once. Dried it off and rubbed it this morning with ground sea salt garlic powder and Black & Gold seasoning then wrapped in Saran Wrap for a few hours.

Got the Classic up to temp at 319, shut down the vents and let it settle around 300.
Unwrapped the meat to sit out awhile the on the grill at 1:00.

717ccbad9be3bc63be96d7d63b97e2e9.jpg

Cruising along at 290 now. Since I’m planning to have a crock pot on the parade route Tuesday to keep it warm I need some liquid. Plan to pan it when it reaches 155 IT and add some chopped onions, bell peppers and garlic and let it go until probe tender. I’ll start checking around 200 IT or so. For the liquid I’ll use 1/2 cup (or more [emoji3]) dark beer, probably a stout. Of course I will have to finish off my hw stout.

Plan to slice thin for either Reuben with sauerkraut or philly strami steak (is there such a thing?) with Swiss. May just call it a Mardi Gras Royale. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours later at 163 IT put it in a pan with onions, bell peppers, garlic and about 3/4 bottle of Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast an imperial rye pale ale and wrapped. I’ll check again in a few hours.

281218cb5a3ae09b54669fac871d80eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overnight soak with just one water change? I'll await your verdict.

I soak for 2 full days changing water every 12 hours to avoid the salt bomb.....and I like salt.

oh yeah, that looks like it belongs on my toast, one of my favourites

Back