Makin Bratwursts with the missus!!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
So... I Have a surprise I'm not going to reveal just yet! But here's the start of the project! Got the Hi-Mountain Bratwurst kit.. Got this because I know we like it.. I'm ordering some other seasonings online in a bit! I started with a 9.7lb pork butt.. Also have fresh ground beef I'll be making beef bratwursts tomorrow..

I got two rolls of regular brats, and two rolls of Jalapeno & sharp cheddar. brats..

I do most of the work.. while the missus works the stuffer crank..

yrUnkUhl.jpg

iGPkR3Ml.jpg

r2fLxfTl.jpg

Didn't get a pic of the Jalepeno cheddar meat.. But here's the roll
PI75wXOl.jpg

I tried to spread the sausage to get it "even" ended up pulling one end off of it.. so It made the perfect size bratwurst for the grill! Grilled at 11 p.m. in the middle of a rain storm.. I think its crazy that home made brats take longer to cook? Anyone else notice this?
COS6c5Ll.jpg

Now as far as the "surprise" I'll update in a little bit.. Once I get it all finished!

Last edited:
Thatsb how we partner up here.
Snag looks great

Alright.. So... Here's the story.. I sold my chainsaw since I don't have a stickburner anymore.. Decided not to get my custom vertical offset back. The guy lived 1 hr away right next to a cabela's... So I told him I would meet him there so I could pick up some sausage making stuff so I could make some stuff while I wait for my order online with my other stuff.

I have seen alot of bad experiences with Cabela products.. and then I've seen alot of good.. I didn't want to pay the price I did for this thing But as I was standing around browsing the cooking section and I had the cash.. My food saver is junk cuz I can't ever get a seal to stick... Hopefully this works a little bit better.

RfwN35Dl.jpg

Got 3 4-packs of each and 1 3-pack of each sausage.. so I got 30 sausages of various sizes (My linking skills are not good enough to create even sized sausages) out of just one pork butt I paid less than 10 dollars for! I wonder tho.. 30 sausages for 1 pork butt... Is that good?

ChBg2til.jpg

Last edited:
Seems reasonable... whatever you call it these days.

Sausages look delicious.

They do. And whats the point of getting married if your wife cant stuff some sausage? (I am sure there is a joke some where in this post)

That said, i make my wife stuff the casings when i do sausage, brats, Land Jeagers, and slim jims. She is just better at it then me. I swear.

Last edited:
Alright.. So... Here's the story.. I sold my chainsaw since I don't have a stickburner anymore.. Decided not to get my custom vertical offset back. The guy lived 1 hr away right next to a cabela's... So I told him I would meet him there so I could pick up some sausage making stuff so I could make some stuff while I wait for my order online with my other stuff.

I have seen alot of bad experiences with Cabela products.. and then I've seen alot of good.. I didn't want to pay the price I did for this thing But as I was standing around browsing the cooking section and I had the cash.. My food saver is junk cuz I can't ever get a seal to stick... Hopefully this works a little bit better.

RfwN35Dl.jpg

Got 3 4-packs of each and 1 3-pack of each sausage.. so I got 30 sausages of various sizes (My linking skills are not good enough to create even sized sausages) out of just one pork butt I paid less than 10 dollars for! I wonder tho.. 30 sausages for 1 pork butt... Is that good?

ChBg2til.jpg

If I try, really really hard, I can get links the same size sometimes, its just not worth the effort.especially making bulk(50/60 lb)

yours look consistant enough,looks almost Rustic:thumb:
actually they look great:thumb:

I watched the "Bearded Butchers'" make brats yesterday and they just cut 5" sections from the coil leaving the two ends open.
Is there a rule you must twist and leave the ends closed?
Ed

I watched the "Bearded Butchers'" make brats yesterday and they just cut 5" sections from the coil leaving the two ends open.
Is there a rule you must twist and leave the ends closed?
Ed

I cut the "tied" part off when making links.. And no I guess you don't.. but twisting them allows for the sausage to stay intact.. if you just slice the coil ever 5" then as the sausage cooks and the casing shrinks could have a "sausage" explosions on the ends I would assume! As with twisting them and cutting them at the twist.. the casing wraps around the bratwurst and it holds together better..

Now I'm just assuming at this point.. this guy might have the right idea.. But I've made enough to kinda expect something like that.

Back