THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Ever since I saw Tuscaloosaq make a thread here about a butcher block he picked up, I've wanted one for my kitchen. I see them come up for sale on FB Marketplace or Craigslist occasionally, but they're either more than I want to spend or the timing isnt right, and it just never worked out.

I got an email alert about this one today and scheduled a time to go check it out. It looked like a solid top to me, but when I asked if they could make a guess what it weighed (since I'd be coming alone) they said 75-100lbs. Hmm...seemed light if solid, but whatever, went to see it. The gentleman that owned it was the original buyer and even had the paperwork...bought in NYC in 1979. Good shape and well maintained...exactly what I was looking for. Solid maple, 36" tall and 24 x 18" top. I could tell he liked it and might have been sad to see it go, but I assured him it would get lots of use and be well loved.

I'm pretty excited that I was finally able to snag one. Oh yeah...nowhere close to 75-100lbs :razz: probably closer to 300. Getting it out of the bed of my truck by myself was...interesting. So now it sits in the garage until I get a helping hand over here.

Last edited:
By the way, Paul said he would strip it down and refinish it for you...oh wait, that was another thread. Nevermind.

Great score, that thing will last longer than you!! It's got plenty of wood to get it shaved down and clean as new. Awesome find!!!

I wasnt really sure what it was in the ad, but once I got it home and did a bit of research on it I am pretty happy this is the one I got.

That looks like it's at least a 14" model, maybe even the 16"? Those are pricey new, look underneath many of those with the right urethane finish had NSF certification labels on them.

The Craigslist god's were in your corner on this one, happy for you!

Nice! Great score. I was given one from a very old store in old Bethesda.
It's got a bit of concavity, as it was really used for maybe 100 years?
I should take pics of it.

Back