Made a little sausage

kw

Knows what a fatty is.
The local Harris Teeter had pork butts on sale for $.97/lb. Picked up 4 of them, saved one for pulled pork.
The remaining 3, plus one loin went into this batch of kielbasa. Came out pretty good.
2oP6vKa

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 154
I like rings of sausage too, and yours certainly has the 'look', meaning the after smoking procedure was spot on. What does adding pork loin bring to the party?

Looks awesome!! I check my Teeter often for those deals, they do come up on occasion and they have good meat.

I like rings of sausage too, and yours certainly has the 'look', meaning the after smoking procedure was spot on. What does adding pork loin bring to the party?

Last batch I made was a little fattier than I like. The loin makes it a little leaner. I trimmed the butts a little closer this time, too.

Next time I won’t trim the butts quite as close as this batch.

Shout out to the folks who manufacture the Meat your Maker grinders. I picked up their #22 on a sale back in February. It does a fantastic job!

Got time to post your recipe?
Ed

Started with 3 butts, 1 loin. About 37 lbs total. Trimmed the butts and loin, ended up with about 30 lb (14 kg).
The trimmed meat was broken down into 3 separate classes. Link to meat classes:
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making/meat-selection/classes

After trimming, it came out to:
Class 1: 56%
Class 2: 23%
Class 3: 21%
Meat was cut into cubes about 1 inch. Salt and cure added to each class, and refrigerated for 48 hrs to cure.
2g cure #1 per kg of meat
16g salt per kg of meat
Ground class 3 twice thru a 1/8” die. Class 2 ground once thru 1/8” die
Class 1 ground thru 3/8” die.
3 g black pepper per kg
6 g garlic per kg
1/2 cup ice water per kg
Mixed garlic and water in a food processor to more evenly distribute.
2 plus a little tsp allspice ( my kitchen scale doesn’t register that qty allspice)
Meat was mixed and stuffed into 32-35mm hog casings. Half was poached, the other half hung till casings were dry, and smoked for about 4 hours with apple wood, until internal temp hit 154F.
The photo was taken about 20 minutes after they came off the smoker.

My wife grew up on a farm in central Connecticut, and they used to get their kielbasa from Rosol’s in New Britain. This sausage I made is a close approximation to theirs.

My wife grew up on a farm in central Connecticut, and they used to get their kielbasa from Rosol’s in New Britain. This sausage I made is a close approximation to theirs.

Martin Rosol's is still there after 95 years. New Britain has a large Polish community and Polish sausage is a staple. You can order online if you wish...

Back