THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

But how did you make it?!?!?

It looks amazing.

If I wanted to make this for mine - and didn't care about the side walls, how hard would it be?

But how did you make it?!?!?

It looks amazing.

If I wanted to make this for mine - and didn't care about the side walls, how hard would it be?

Not hard at all depending on what kind of tools you have.

Basic Shape
If you have a WeberQ 2200 you know the OEM grate is actually 2 separate grates that form a strange shaped oval. I took them out and laid them on the 3/16 A36 flat plate and just traced the outline. I cut mine with a plasma but a few cutoff wheels and a grinder will work.

Side Walls
I recommend them for two porposes: they really help when cooking and they also help make the plate sturdy (acting like a strong back when welded in place). The "side walls" and handles are made from 1 inch flat bar, I had some 3/16 inch laying around but 1/8 inch would work fine. I used a hydraulic bending tool but a sturdy vice and small sledge or even a torch to heat and bend would work fine. They are welded in place from the outside.

Drain
I cut a 5 inch opening in the back wall about 3/4 inch high and a 6x2 inch opening in the griddle itself to allow scraping down the griddle and getting rid of excess oil/liquids. I also think the 6X2 opening is important to have proper ventilation for the gas burner. I line the bottom bowl of the WeberQ with foil to make cleanup a little easier, but essentially scraping gunk into the drain allows it to drain into the stock WeberQ drip pan.

I am sending a CAD drawing to my metal supplier to get quotes for laser cut blanks like I use for my 22.5 and 26.75 griddles and may be selling finished versions soon. Hoping to hit $100 or less plus shipping.

Good looking meals Dave, I love blackened Mahi!

A buddy of mine dumpster dived one of those Weber Qs awhile back. After a thorough cleaning it works like a charm.

Too bad these aren't commercial available. He's got a decade birthday coming up in March and it would make a great gift. Alas I'm mechanically inept and could never fabricate one. Will have to see what it would cost to have made based on dwfisk's description.

The more you use it the darker the Griddle will get.
Seasoning is a never ending process. Do it right and you will always be Non-Stick. I'm a retired LEO. Guess I spent too many early morning hours eating in Waffle Houses watching guys cook on the Flat Top's... I figured correctly that I could do a better job. With practice you will discover your only limitation is your imagination.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Not hard at all depending on what kind of tools you have.

Basic Shape
If you have a WeberQ 2200 you know the OEM grate is actually 2 separate grates that form a strange shaped oval. I took them out and laid them on the 3/16 A36 flat plate and just traced the outline. I cut mine with a plasma but a few cutoff wheels and a grinder will work.

Side Walls
I recommend them for two porposes: they really help when cooking and they also help make the plate sturdy (acting like a strong back when welded in place). The "side walls" and handles are made from 1 inch flat bar, I had some 3/16 inch laying around but 1/8 inch would work fine. I used a hydraulic bending tool but a sturdy vice and small sledge or even a torch to heat and bend would work fine. They are welded in place from the outside.

Drain
I cut a 5 inch opening in the back wall about 3/4 inch high and a 6x2 inch opening in the griddle itself to allow scraping down the griddle and getting rid of excess oil/liquids. I also think the 6X2 opening is important to have proper ventilation for the gas burner. I line the bottom bowl of the WeberQ with foil to make cleanup a little easier, but essentially scraping gunk into the drain allows it to drain into the stock WeberQ drip pan.

I am sending a CAD drawing to my metal supplier to get quotes for laser cut blanks like I use for my 22.5 and 26.75 griddles and may be selling finished versions soon. Hoping to hit $100 or less plus shipping.

Please post here if and when you do....

It looks like there is an existing porcelain cast iron griddle for it that runs about $45.

Can you help me understand the difference in the metal?

Thanks!

Back