M1 Smoker review after first big cook.

vtron

Got Wood.
I've had the M1 for a little over a week. I've done 2 smokes and several grill sessions. All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase. It really is the best of both worlds, being able to smoke just like a reverse flow offset and a full Hastybake style charcoal grill.

It did a great job grilling burgers and veggies. It also did great with greek kabobs. It's very fuel efficient in that you can close it up after grilling to quickly put out the coals. Next time you want to grill, you can light a half chimney and dump it on what's left from the last cook. On my overnight smoke, I took what was left on the charcoal grate and dumped it into the fire basket to start the coal bed.

It also did great on my overnight smoke. I was able to go 1 to 1.5 hours between adding sticks, depending on the size. It did a great job holding temperature. The one exception was when I put in a smaller stick and took a 1.5 hour nap. The coal bed got pretty low and the temp dipped to 220. I had to babysit it for a bit after that. Lesson learned. Other than that, I was able to just thrown on a new stick, close the door and walk away. Nice thin blue smoke almost immediately and held right around 260.

The one thing I haven't yet tried is using it like a set and forget charcoal cooker. I want to see how long it will go before I need to tend to the fire if I want to be lazy on an overnight cook. That probably won't happen for a few weeks though.

I started with a 12lb brisket, 2 7lb butts that I threw on around 1:30AM. At 10 the next morning, I threw on a fatty stuffed with cheddar and hatch chilis. The brisket came off at 11 when it was probe tender. The butts came off at 12 when they hit 195. The burnt ends went on at that point. Everything was off and in a faux cambro around 2. Then I started the grill and cooked some wings around 3. All the food was out and ready to serve at 4. The timing was perfect.

So on to the most important part, the pron! I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted because of beer and naps. But here it is.

Brisket and butts around 3AM
VgFSo1e.jpg

Pork done and pulled
RNcMuCK.jpg

Wings cookin
uheIoSA.jpg

Lots o' meats
2IqDt1c.jpg

You have done something that even I have not done yet, which is smoke a brisket on the top grate extension. I've been wanting to try that, but been so busy I have not had the opportunity to smoke anything in a while. State Fair of Texas coming up and we getting ready to show.

I`m glad to hear everything came out great. Sometimes I will start my briskets at night with a loaded basket of charcoal and a split of wood. It will usually hold temp for about 5-6 hours. (nice time to get a little sleep in). Once I wake up, then i`ll use all splits to finish the smoke.

Thanks for the review!

oh btw.. once I am done with my long smoke and start grilling as you have done so. I like to keep some wood burning in the firebox while I'm grilling. Usually some apple or cherry. Gives a little extra kick of smoke flavoring. Something y'all can try out.

Back