THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I use Royal oak I bought the big ol bag brown bag from sams and it pops and cracks alot and I end up with charcoal dust all over my food uckkkkk! It might be regional though. I'll stick with Royal oak under $5 a bag at menards.

Toss on as much wood as you normally would.

I use RO for grilling, but I really like True Cue for low n slows. It's very dense and has a good smoke smell. You can find it at certain home depots.

Fuel..................................;}-

I like making my own lump(nothing you don't want in it),and easy:idea:
With a decent availability to wood,get a small cheap grill or a barrel and start burning the wood then as it gets going good,smother it;I use it along with my sticks and can even use it in my UDS.
Hope this helps and,

Whatever you get, stay AWAY from the Cowboy brand. I haven't used it in a while, but I'd almost believe it was burnt flooring scraps....just terrible stuff that burns up twice as fast as anything else.

The Royal Oak at Walmart is ok, but I bet the Frontier at Sams is denser, and there's other brands as well. Someone mentioned the True Que that Home Depot is selling now. It did look like a pretty small bag for the weight. Also, do check out the the B&B if an Academy S. is nearby. You won't be disappointed.

What can you find locally? I would start there. Buy just a couple bags and see what you like best. I personally like RO Steakhouse. It comes in the green bag. I get it at Menard's. I would follow the advise of the guys that have used and been unhappy with the the brands mentioned above.

Between Cowboy and Royal Oak I have had about the exact opposite results as most here with mine. The Cowboy is great for low and slow and the Royal Oak burns quick and hot so I use it for pizzas of high heat. Granted I am using a Bubba Keg so maybe they react differently in those grills.

From what I understand, even under these two national brands, they are typically made local so they can differ on wood quality from region to region. I am sure there is local stuff that is better but I at least know I can find RO or Cowboy no matter what city I am near so I normally end up with that. I wish I could get True Cue since I have heard great things about it but I think that is more of a Southern thing.

By the way I am in the Ohio area, that may explain why my lump was acting differently from someone in Florida or GA.

We have used Royal Oak, Best Choice, Cowboy and Frontier from Sams with the following results, Cowboy I didn't finish the bag because I started finding actual partially unburned scraps of flooring in the bag. Even though when I called they told me it was never finished, I know they glue the stuff together, not cool in my opinion. Frontier, some extra popping when first put on, if you start it in a chimney or set a pan of it on top of the firebox to pre-heat like you do with sticks you reduce the popping significantly. Best Choice and Royal Oak, I really can't tell a difference between them. I know the best choice is made by royal oak and is the same as the USA hardwood version of royal oak.

Happy smoking
Tracy

I always had such a hard time with temperature control when I had a Bandera (too little airflow control) that I'd be worried about it running too high on lump. I'd lean toward the Stubb's all-natural briquettes at Lowe's or road trip to ATL for Rancher at Trader Joe's (now labeled as house brand). Better flavor and less ash than Kingsford, plus it'd burn cooler. I don't buy the K Competition on principle for selling me coal and clay for all those years.

I use Royal Oak lump from Restaurant Depot. I throw in a chunk of cherry, apple or hickory (not soaked) with each chimney, depending on what I'm cooking.

Back