THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We use lump as well. We put about 15lbs in the chute. We start it up around 2:30 for anything butt and and it usually makes it till around 12:30 the next day. So we have had great success with it. We get our lump from US Foods. I will say this... I do think our smoker has a lot to do with it lasting that long. Our Deep South Smoker is built like a tank a heavily insulated.

My local Walmart stopped selling royal oak lump so I tried cowboy lump and hated it. I couldn't get it to burn hot enough. Do you have that problem?

I use cowboy, for now, going to make my own.
And yes I have had that problem a few times. I think it could be the inconsistency of the wood they use. But that's just my opinion.

Anything but Cowboy and KBB. I bought 1/2 pallet of Cowboy once and pretty much gave it away. There were a lot of plastic cords in the bags, they didn't burn off during the char process so I was very unhappy with their product. KBB because I can't stand the smell of that stuff.

I made the switch from KBB to lump this spring and am happy w/ the results. The MUCH smaller amount of ash alone is worth it, imo.

I have had good luck w/ the "new" Cowboy. Every bag I've used this year has been great. Good-sized pieces; nothing foreign.

The combo of the WSM and lump makes for very efficient, low-ash cooks. I can easily get a few cooks (ribs/picnic/brisket) out of one load of fuel.

I've also used Mali Gourmet Lump out of NY. It's good stuff, too.

KBB in my WSMs and general grilling. It burns consistantly and I buy it when it's on sale in the big box stores.
Royal Oak lump when I want a serious sear on a good steak. Where I live it's a lot more expensive then KBB so I don't use that much of it.

I buy wicked good lump by the pallet. Would like to try their briquettes some time. I think they would fit better in my humphreys cubed beast.

I mostly use briquettes since I just wait for the holiday seasons for the Kingsford blue and just buy a whoooole freaking lot of it. I've used Royal Oak lump before in the past, and have little complaints. When I get my Keg I'll be more involved in the world of Lump. Of course within the next few (5-eight) years our family plan will be complete, and we'll be on enough land where I can just start making my own damn lump. I'm really, REALLY looking forward to that for some reason.

I only use the Lazzari mesquite lump. I've tried the blue bag and we just don't like the funky taste. Plus I'm cheap and so far no one can beat Cash & Carry's price, $13.99/40lbs and sometimes they have it on sale for $11.99.

I cooked this weekend with my UDS, started and kept the temp around 275, spiked around 350, by morning was down to 225, kicked the barrel to settle the coal. My temp was still at 200 by the evening, I got right at 24 hours with about 15 to 20lbs of lump. (Which is a first, haven't had that much heat that long before)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag16.htm

I think it depends on cooker type as well.
I have to run lump in my Egg, but I've tried RO (Red bag from RD), Cowboy (new Cowboy when True Value had a smoking price on them) and Wicked Good.

I like WG Weekend Warrior. Just too expensive IF you can find it around here.
Didn't like the burn characteristics of Cowboy, or the flavor from it.

Royal Oak is where it's at for me. I even burn it in my Weber OTG for burgers, dogs and steaks.

I do have a small bag of MatchLight Charcoal and a left over bag of Cowboy....that I use to start my outdoor firepit when it's being stubborn. LOL.

As mentioned, you'll find Royal Oak makes most of the lump out there and repackages/rebrands itself for others.

The inconsistency of widely available lump has been turning me off from it. I may give it another bag or 2 in some trials...

Briqs for me in my OTG and Mini WSM.

Use Wicked Good for smoking and Stubbs for grilling unless I want it extra hot then use Royal Oak when grilling. I cant get past the smell and taste of the Cowboy Lump. I definitely made sure my windows were down and i stood far away from the fireworks when I lit that stuff up.

Back