Lump Charcoal Inconsistent burn?

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
Just used lump charcoal for the first time last week.

I was smoking some dino ribs and didn't have my usual charcoal briquettes and my mom picked up lump (she said it was all they had).

Anyway, I had a MUCH harder time keeping my temps up using lump compared to briquettes.

Anyone else notice this?

This was only for like a 6/7 hour cook too.

On another note, I got a great smoke ring on the ribs which I haven't before. Not sure if there is any correlation there.

You tend to get bigger air gaps when using lump. I try to fill in the spaces with smaller pieces. I think it helps even out the burn.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You tend to get bigger air gaps when using lump. I try to fill in the spaces with smaller pieces. I think it helps even out the burn.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah that definitely makes sense. Will try that next time! Thanks!

When I use lump, I will spend some time breaking down the large pieces to help with smaller gaps and even burn. I'll actually use a saw to cut down the large log like pieces to get a more uniform size.

When I use lump, I will spend some time breaking down the large pieces to help with smaller gaps and even burn. I'll actually use a saw to cut down the large log like pieces to get a more uniform size.

Last year I collected the XL chunks from various bags & do a big burn in my IVS to see how it would do. They burned 8 hours or so in my IVS before shutting down. Still in it ready to go again a 2nd time. Had to pause on it after moving out for a big reno job that got held up. Here is a a 10 sec clip of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygg8Yrtt1sw

You're not wrong on uniformity issue & air gaps. Part of why briquettes are so predictable & long burning - uniformity!

I break up my big pieces too. Works good.

Back