LSG Cabinet vs. Shirley Prototype

WhitesideJC

Full Fledged Farker
Brethren,

I’m in the process of narrowing down options for a stick burner. I’ve been using my modified cinder block cooker as a stick burner, which helped me realize I enjoy tending fires, but ideally I’d have a cooker that’s a little more efficient and I can stow away vs. taking up the relatively limited space in the backyard.

I’m most often cooking for a group of 4-8, but I do several big cooks throughout the year (parties for 30-40 folks, and then a few big fundraisers where I’m cooking upwards of 16 butts). So, I’d like to have a cooker that gives me the flexibility with capacity, but also don’t need to be overkill.

This brings me to two options that I’ve been eyeing – the new Shirley Patio Prototype and the LSG Cabinet Smokers. I have the fortunate situation where my company offers a bonus at our 10 year mark where they give us a certain dollar amount to go towards a gift (can’t just get the money).

Anywho – this is where I currently stand. I honestly thought it was a done deal with the Shirley Prototype, but I’ve found myself talking myself into the LSG due to the larger capacity and potential warming box option. I know there’s as post about the LSG 20x42 vs. Shirley patio, so this is a bit of a different animal comparing the Cabinet vs. Shirley Prototype.

What do y’all think? Anything I’m missing here that I’ve compiled? I see the warming box as additional flexibility with the cooker, but maybe it’s not 100% necessary.

Shirley
Pros:
  • It’s a Shirley – bringing the build quality that they’re known for.
  • Relatively cheaper vs. LSG
Cons:
  • Smaller in capacity
  • No warmer, if deciding to go that route

LSG:
Pros:
  • Larger Capacity
  • Can go with the warmer box to add some more versatility
Cons:
  • More $$, especially with the warmer box add-on. Would also need to get off road package.

How are the wait times between the two?

So I'm looking at June 2020, meaning I have some flexibility with wait times. LSG is somehwere in the 2-3 month range, and then they say the Shirley Prototype will not have a wait time (meaning I can submit a deposit now and hold my June 2020 spot).

Net: doesn't really factor in, should have mentioned that in my original post.

If you wanted a Shirley double cabinet door patio model with a warmer St. Louis BBQ store has one in stock finally.

Back