LSG 24” VO Delivery This Friday!

SMetroHawkeye

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Hawkeye
Placed my order in early March and it’s on the truck now, with delivery pending for Friday! Many thanks to all the LSG-VO Brethren for your posts and insight on vertical offsets and on Lone Star Grillz. I shared in the Great-Goodlander experience, with Chris and Amber as great as described! Special shout-out to Sako for your feedback and counsel: much appreciated, brother!

In the end, I went with the 24”, delivering over 3,000 sq/“ of cooking space in the smallest offset footprint possible. Flirted with the bigger size, but knowing for who/how much I’d be cooking regularly, the 24” was plenty for my family’s needs.

Things got squirrelly when I started imagining how I was going to get the cooker from my driveway into my backyard, and then into a regular place for cooking and storage. I originally had the 8” wheel upgrade. I then started talking to The Boss on where she thought the cooker would go... and I quickly realized we had two very different opinions on the Where’s and Whatfor’s (not an uncommon occurrence - you’d figure after 25 years I’d learn my lessons). I wouldn’t have a poured concrete pad to put it on, now... so what’s a guy to do? How about add some all terrain tires! It was a spendy solution, but given my backyard - a great idea that allows a lot more flexibility for storage and where I might want to cook.

Here’s the final option list:
  • 24” vertical upright smoker
  • 1/2” fire box
  • Off-Road package
  • 2 Tel-Tru temp gauges
  • Slide out ash pan
  • Ash rake
  • Folding 12” table
  • 2 probe holes
  • Gas assist
  • Mounted Capcatcher bottle opener

Very excited to put a true stick burner into the cooker corral!

Any other VO tips The Brethren might share would be welcomed and much appreciated! I’ll post some pix when “Li’l Herky” is delivered :-D

PM Sako for any tips! There's not any member here who has put the VO through the paces he has.
He'll give ya any info ya wish...trust me I pestered the hell out of him!

Congrats! It's a beautiful cooker!

-D

Same cooker as I have except mine has only one probe port and the firebox is insulated. Wish I had two ports....

You will love it. Let me know if I can be of help The placement of the tuning plates is different for a VO than a horizontal.

OUTSTANDING!!!! Off-road package is a SMART call; moving the beast without it is no small affair.

You’re gonna love it. There are indeed a handful of us with the LSG VO and all very happy customers.

I’m about to hang some bird in it just now... starting the fire in 20”.

Congrats!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new cooker, there are a good 4 or 5 posters on this board that cook on the LSG VO and all of them can cook their arses off. :thumb:

Thanks Kevin - big shoes to fill... but all are instructional and inspirational! Looking forward to learning from the best!

PM Sako for any tips! There's not any member here who has put the VO through the paces he has.
He'll give ya any info ya wish...trust me I pestered the hell out of him!

Congrats! It's a beautiful cooker!

-D

Totally agree - Sako’s got some mad skillz tied to the VO!

Same cooker as I have except mine has only one probe port and the firebox is insulated. Wish I had two ports....

You will love it. Let me know if I can be of help The placement of the tuning plates is different for a VO than a horizontal.

Thanks for your note - I’ll take any tips on placement! Looking forward to sharing my learning curve and collecting tips and coaching along the way!

OUTSTANDING!!!! Off-road package is a SMART call; moving the beast without it is no small affair.

You’re gonna love it. There are indeed a handful of us with the LSG VO and all very happy customers.

I’m about to hang some bird in it just now... starting the fire in 20”.

Congrats!

Thanks Wookie! Can’t wait to join the happy LSG VO Family... and thanks for sharing Old Bill’s link - looks like perfect instructions to get me off on the right foot!

Solid choice! I've got the 30in model and love it. Can't beat the footprint for a patio. The gas assist is super handy. If you are starting an early cook, just setup your firebox the night before and you can stumble out in the morning, light the gas assist, go back inside and prep meat. The pit is normally close to being up to temp by the time I get done getting things ready. I usually put some charcoal down to help build the coal base which the gas assist gets blazing real quick. This is probably the easiest offset I've ever cooked on in regards to managing temps. I feel like I put very little effort into and it kind of just does its thing. Do yourself a favor and buy some meat hooks. I just bought a set of Pit Barrel Cooker hooks. These things are great to hang meat in, brisket included. I took the three top racks out of mine about a year ago and they've been in the garage ever since.

XV6GW9bl.jpg

Solid choice! I've got the 30in model and love it. Can't beat the footprint for a patio. The gas assist is super handy. If you are starting an early cook, just setup your firebox the night before and you can stumble out in the morning, light the gas assist, go back inside and prep meat. The pit is normally close to being up to temp by the time I get done getting things ready. I usually put some charcoal down to help build the coal base which the gas assist gets blazing real quick. This is probably the easiest offset I've ever cooked on in regards to managing temps. I feel like I put very little effort into and it kind of just does its thing. Do yourself a favor and buy some meat hooks. I just bought a set of Pit Barrel Cooker hooks. These things are great to hang meat in, brisket included. I took the three top racks out of mine about a year ago and they've been in the garage ever since.

XV6GW9bl.jpg

Thanks - that sounds like sound advice for set up and an easy start! Plus great tip in the PBC hooks... I’ll add them to the list!

I miss "oldbill".................

Me too! He was my mentor and one of the original LSG VO owners back when Chris was in Conroe. My pit still says Conroe, TX. :biggrin1: I believe i was second or third LSG VO owner here. I fell in love with it the first time I was the VO pits from LSG and still very much happy.

Congrats Hawkeye! I'm so psyched for you man. Friday can't come soon enough. Just don't fall off the roof and let you head swell up like a watermelon like I did delivery week. :becky: True story! I almost didn't see my LSG VO. :loco:

Souvenir shot of leaving the ER. Alive!!!

u8dqGcGh.jpg

Back