Lowe's has charcoal on sale! 40lbs. for $7.97

I picked up 200 lbs tonight at HD. Our Lowe's had 16.6 lb bags out in the 2 x 20 deal area, so HD got the business!

Put that with the 300 lbs I have left from the Wal-Mart 4th deal, and most of my Rick cord of Hickory, Cherry and Oak left, I'm set for a while. :grin:

-K

Saw this deal earlier this week and took advantage of it. Great deal. Thinking about going back for more...

I can't us KFB in my UDS, it won't cook at a high enough temp. I like to cruise @ 275-300, but I struggled to get over 230 with KB, even with 2 out of 4 one inch intakes wide open. Then there's the mountains of ash build up.

For grilling It might be OK. The KF comp is pretty good, but burns fast. Stubbs FTW.

This is seems strange to me. I usually cook hot n fast in my UDS and use KFB exclusively. 300-325 range with as much meat as I can cram on a single rack. The other day I used the drum to cook a couple big squash casseroles at 375 for 2 hours. Wonder why yours wont get up to temps?

Y'all are lucky pharkers ... I've paid N.Z. $15.00 for 10lbs of namibian stick charcoal. There is cheaper stuff around but its made from smashed up pallets and its full of nails and on some of it y'all can see paint ash!.

Has anyone seen that chineese stuff made from compressed bamboo charcoal?? Whats it cook like??

I use real wood in my smoker but am building a UDS and so am looking into charcoal for the first time. Would have to take out a mortgage to get 200lbs like some of y'all got.

Might have to start making my own if'n the UDS is as good as some say.

Last edited:
I asked the guy working at the Home Depot if he would just wheel a pallet out to my truck. It was a couple bags short of full but 40 bags will last a little while.

6104179421_4a9f0dee4a_z.jpg

I'll pass. Kingsford on my big 'ol 24" Horizon offset smoker falls through the charcoal grate soon after turning white. I've switched back to my favorite charcoal (mixed with sticks of course) which is Sam's choice charcoal. Very large coals and lasts way longer than Kingsford.

Which brings me to a point to ponder....how come you can buy Sam's Choice charcoal at Walmart, but you can't buy it at Sam's Club ????

Anyway, I think Kingsford is full of crap in that they've reduced the amount of charcoal per bag and tell you that it actually lasts longer than the heavier charcoal they used to supply a few years ago. Wasn't the double bag like 22 pounds per bag and now it's something like 18 pounds per ?? Sam's Choice is 18 lbs per but like I said, the coals are much bigger and produce a longer burn, at least in my experience.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, just my personal experience.

Put a piece of expanded metal over the charcoal grate and that will help keep the smaller pieces from falling through.

I can't help you with your other issues, because i personally only cook with the blue bag.

I got 240 lbs at Home Depot today so along with the 10 bags I had in the garage before going to Home Depot, I should be set until the Memorial Day sale next year.

If you bring the Lowes add to Home Depot they will give you an additional 10% off so take advantage of that. I did and it brought the total price for 6 twin packs down to $43. Can't beat that! :-D

18 double packs for me...garage is crammed and wifey happy as she knows the grillwill be hot for a while!

Bought ten twin packs today. Filled up my car so I am going back tomorrow to get more.

Preparing for the winter...

Just took ten twin packs off from Lowes.
Its also the same amount that filled up the back seat in my hatchback.
[The truck wasn't available... had the rear bed full of Winter tires and loose wheels]

That is to join the other stash of 12 twin packs from the the July 4th sale.
Still working on the Stubbs stash (12 bags) from the Spring sale.

Might be enough to use the new batch of rubs collected this season.

If somebody told me 5 years ago I'd be collecting charcoal for the Winter...1,000 lbs.??????

Last edited:
Back