Low Grand Champ scores

Judges used to be trained on starting at 6. It wasnt 10 years ago.

Sorry, can't let you spew so many unfounded statements! I can't tell from your signiture if your a CBJ or not, if you are I suggest you take a refresher class (it's free).
Newer judges are NOT taught to start anywhere, not 6 and up, or 9 and down. That may have been the case well over a decade ago, but no longer is that the case.
Each box is to be judged on it's own merit, not for what might be next.
As far as "food critics" I think that is more of a personal opinion than a fact.
Judges new and experienced are just a bunch of normal people with various ideas of what great BBQ should be.
Using guidlines set forth by KCBS, each judge is to score each entry as instructed in their certification class.
Ed

Sorry, can't let you spew so many unfounded statements! I can't tell from your signiture if your a CBJ or not, if you are I suggest you take a refresher class (it's free).
Newer judges are NOT taught to start anywhere, not 6 and up, or 9 and down. That may have been the case well over a decade ago, but no longer is that the case.
As far as "food critics" I think that is more of a personal opinion than a fact.
Judges new and experienced are just a bunch of normal people with various ideas of what great BBQ should be.
Using guidlines set forth by KCBS, each judge is to score each entry as instructed in their certification class.
Ed

I am not talking about what is SUPPOSED to happen. But we all know what is supposed to happen is not always what is happening.

Those are my theories for what is going on...yes, absolutely my personal opinion based on what I have seen and heard inside and outside the tent. (Yes, I am a CBJ, but a cook first.)

I am from the Northeast and took the judges course last year I think it was. There are not a lot of competitions around where I am so hard to build up much experience. I would say that I would expect newer judges to tend to score lower that would certainly be true of me. And I would expect that there are fewer experienced judges in this area. The fact that you are not allowed to go back and amend a score, intellectually means that you have to leave some room to go up even if you think the first box is excellent…what happens in the next is better.

But what do I know

Judges used to be trained on starting at 6. It wasnt 10 years ago.

I took my class in '03 and Mike Lake said "in the past" so I assumed in the past was more than 1 year previous.
I have helped in 3 different CBJ classes since then and they were taught not to start at any certain number in each of those classes.
So I'll stand by my "at least a decade statement".
Ed

... intellectually means that you have to leave some room to go up even if you think the first box is excellent…what happens in the next is better.

But what do I know

Give it a 9 if it's great, give it an 8 if it's good. Don't worry about what comes next. If the next dish is great, give it a 9 too. KCBS judging is not supposed to be relative.

I try to judge at least once a year. In my experience, you are hardly ever going to get 6 good entries anyway. Give 'em what they deserve, and if they are all good, no worries. Reps worry more about judges handing out too many low scores vs. too many high scores.

I am from the Northeast and took the judges course last year I think it was. There are not a lot of competitions around where I am so hard to build up much experience. I would say that I would expect newer judges to tend to score lower that would certainly be true of me. And I would expect that there are fewer experienced judges in this area. The fact that you are not allowed to go back and amend a score, intellectually means that you have to leave some room to go up even if you think the first box is excellent…what happens in the next is better.

But what do I know

Steve,

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, I'm certainly not trying to pick on you but it is thinking like this that tend to get under the skin of many cooks. The only thing you are missing is telling us about the cooler for your leftovers......

Tree are plenty of contests in the Northeast to judge. Where once going back to back was unusual, there are now teams doing 6-8 straight weeks of contests. You may have to travel some but teams and many judges regularly travel 4 or more hours.

As the others have already pointed out, each entry is supposed to be judged on its own merit and not compared to other entries. What if the opposite of your scenario were to happen and the entry you gave a score that left you room to move up turns out to be the best one of the day?

Ed

As it states on the cards.... "6 is average".
Average is subjective. While a judge may think he cooks great q and can do better than what is in any box that comes across the table, his average may be higher or lower.
Just as some one that just took a class may think all that comes to the table is above average...just perspective.

I've noticed that so far, in the past 2 years, there has not been one single 180 at any contests we have been at ...in the Mid-atlantic area ... you would think that SOMEBODY , one of those great cooks, would get at least one perfect score. there are quite a few in teh midwest and other areas. Any one else watching that ?

Back