looking for Ugly Drum Smoker Lids

BC2_BBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at JEarley@toledometalspinning.com. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.

Chris Patterson

So here is an example of a lid that they currently make. They would have to create a tool to make the lids for the UDS. They are very interested in finding out if there is enough interest for them to make the tool and have these available as a standard item. This would save the BBQ community Money. If it is a special item then there is a tooling cost and a setup fee and all that sort of stuff. If you send an email it doesn't mean that you want one or that you are committing to purchasing one. All it shows is that there is interest. I hope everyone will flood them with emails and they start making them. Not sure of price. I think it would depend on how interested we are.

Attachments

• Toledo Metal Spinning Lid.jpg
    Toledo Metal Spinning Lid.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 181
Yair . . . no point in me emailing them from Australia but I suggest if they are going to tool up to produce a lid they may as well increase the height of the dome so there is room for (say) a full sized chook on the top grille . . . 5.2" isn't going to cut it.

Cheers.

I agree. They would be willing to make it as the BBQ community sees fit. But we need to let them know what we are looking for.

I've posted this a few times over the years. I use the Turner Biodiesel lids on my builds. Not cheap or an exact fit but with a little modification, adds lots of capacity and they seal great.

http://turnerbiodiesel.com/8_gallon_55_gallon_drum_cone

1_zps00df621a.jpg

have to spot weld a 1/4 rod around the perimeter first then spot weld the 1" x 1/8" flat stock so it "captures the drum. The glue the Rutland rope with Rutland RTV inside for the seal. Then fill the top gap with Rutland RTV.

camo13.jpg

camo25.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's too late since you built yours already but the guy that sells me barrels sets aside any used "lip in" barrels especially for uds construction. The lids are tapered in and the weber lids fit them perfectly.

I wanted to say thamk you to everyone that responded with suggestions and interest! The BBQ community rocks!

Back