THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Howdy folks! I'm looking to find some options to help out with a cook that's planned for a couple weeks. I'm the Scoutmaster for my sons Boy Scout troop. We do cooking demonstrations at a large gathering of older cub scouts in our area called, Webelos-O-Ree.

One of the things we've made in the past for the cooking demo was cobbler. When the Cubs would arrive at our station, they would talk to our Scouts about the process of making cobbler, see the boys actually making it, and then get samples of the cobbler. The Cubs loved the cobbler! Unfortunately, other groups at Webelos-O-Ree started also providing visitors to their stations with cobbler samples. The kids got several exposures to cobbler, which meant they didn't get much other food. The cub parents also expressed some concern about the food the kids were getting through the day. So, I'm looking for suggestions for an alternative to something loaded sugar....something more savory that can be used as a demo of what can be readily cooked while camping and can provide samples for the Cubs to take with them. Ideally, something that typical grade school age kids will enjoy, something not too fussy, not too expensive, not too messy, easily transportable (the Cubs are wandering around all day, going from demonstration station to demonstration station).

Thank you in advance!
Bruce

For Cubbies, nothing works better and is more simple than hot dogs and/or mac n cheese. Both are easy over a campfire.

When I was a scout the most common items cooked in and over a fire were foil packs, shish-ka-bobs and mud baked potatoes.

Foil pack was a hamburger with slices of onion and potato spiced with salt and pepper and double wrapped with foil and literally put IN the coals of a wood fire.

Kabobs were easy. Marinated steak and veggie chunks on a stick that we whittled and put on two Y shaped branches over the fire like a spit.

Mud bakers were a potatoes covered in a thick coating of mud. Put that right IN a wood fire. When the mud drys and cracks the potatoe is done on the inside.

Camp cooking at its finest.

The first thing that comes to mind is a hotdog shaped hamburger. Instead of forming a pattie with the ground beef have the cubs roll out "snakes". Grill'em up and put them on a hot dog bun. They can use hot dog or hamburger toppings, or a mix of the two.

Meat on sticks, there are some issues with pointed sticks, I suppose, however, meat on sticks is always a hit. And it is easier than cobbler to assemble.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the need. Our group is doing the cooking demo for a whole bunch of Cubs that will be stopping by our site through the day. I was looking for alternatives to cobbler that would provide a good demo, and be something the Cubs would like as well as something they could bring with them. We are not expected to provide enough food to count as a meal.

We were considering doing deep fried Mac n cheese balls.:clap2:

We also will be cooking a whole hog on a spit. Unfortunately for the Cubs, the hog won't be done until the end of the day. The sight and smell of the hog leaves an impression with both the boys and their fathers. :biggrin1:

Thanks!
Bruce

@RevZiLLa: the plan is to bring along the hand crank ice cream maker and do cinnamon ice cream as part of dessert for the Troop.

Bruce

If your pack has Dutch ovens, there are a lot of scout D.O. recipes on you tube. They all have low cost ingredients too. Have fun, I know the boys will!

Back