Looking for some advice from the stick burners out there...

They all got you pretty well covered here, esp. Wampus - I just want to emphasize keeping the exhaust 100 percent open all the time - things got a lot better for me when I started doing that.

What Wampus (and the Poob) said, it's all there. Be sure to season the new cooker according to Lang's specs before using it, then let 'er rip!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wampus every thirty min ?wow that sure is a wood eater. I usually add one every 1hr to 1 1/2 hr to maintain 250-270 temp.

^^^^^^^ tattoo that stuff there to your forearm, follow it closely, and your on your way to BBQ Nirvana! :clap2:

I found BBQ Nirvana when I started burning sticks in my Spicewine thanks to the advice from Phil. It's about as good as it gets. But even in a different cooker I still apply the same theories as posted here. A small hot fire is the way to go regardless of what you're cooking with. Good luck with the Lang!

On my Lang 60 I use 1 chimmney of K to get a bed of coals then put 3 sticks/logs on the fire with the 4 intakes all open. As others have said leave the exhaust vent all open. When the temp is about 300 I shut the vents to open just a sliver. I add about 1 log every 40 minutes to an hour depending on the outside temp. If it is windy my cooker seems to work best with the firebox facing the wind - a strong cross wind and it is hard to keep the temp up.

If you have a hard time finding wood I would recommend making a charcoal basket and burning mostly charcoal or lump - I know others that have done this and actually get a long burn time using this method...and obviously use a lot less wood.

Back