Looking for ideas: Post Halloween Pumpkins?

Jobiz

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Joe

Before we start up with the Turkey day recipes, first I need to put Halloween to bed.

The 3 pumpkins on the top were not carved, that's a projection effect.
So basically I have 3 virgin pumpkins now.

Any suggestions as to how to use them would be appreciated. I've heard folks smoke the seeds but I was wondering about the actual pumpkin guts. Maybe a pumpkin pie on the grill?
I've never "baked" anything over coals before but I'm willing to try anything once.

Deer and squirrels eat them here...Those type pumpkins aren't that tasty anyway, let the deer have them, then eat the deer....:wink:

We made Pumpkin Pies from Pumpkins in college Turned out good Salted roasted pumpkin seeds are Great

I like roasting the seeds, Pretty much every year (except for this year), every time me and the little one carve them for Halloween I will give them a little dusting of spice of choice and smoke or roast them in the oven! they turn out great and are a tasty snack

Yeah, Jack O' Lantern pumpkins aren't the best for pie or cooking. Smoke the seeds. Toss or shoot the pumpkins.

I really like to put a few pounds of tannerite in the them and shoot them with a high powered rifle. Lots of fun, but probably not for everyone.

Sounds great to me. lol I used my Henry 45-70 on some snowballs this Independence Day. Too fun! :grin:

Seed them, cut into 1/8 sections and roast. Even though they aren't sugar pumpkins, thry will still make pumpkin pie. You can also dice them and make some curry pumpkin stew. I habent made this bit it looks delicious
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/simple-curry-pumpkin-soup-12176396
Like others said, roast the seeds. I like to marinade and season, then put them on the smoker. I wanted to try a tobasco marinade and see how it went but our seeds got thrown out by a kiddo on accident.

Years ago I roasted a punkin and made a pie using a vodka crust. Lot of work but tasted fine!
Ed

Years ago I worked at a small grocery store and one of the customers would come in by the leftover pumpkins dirt cheap and make candied pumpkin. She brought us some one time and it was phenomenal, so you may want to see if a recipe for that exists on the web.

So I made the soup yesterday but I've still got one pumpkin left.
I might try to find that recipe for candied pumpkin for the last one.

The soup was pretty good. It has a lot of curry in it so the color went green instead of pumpkin Orange. Still good though.

Back