Looking for Brisket BBQ Sauce

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
I'll be doing a big cook for family and friends. Most of the time I don't put sauce on my brisket, but I want something for the party. I think most of the BBQ sauces tend to over-power the brisket and you mostly end up tasting the sauce.

Do you have any ideas or sauces that you think complement brisket?

Thanks,

What about just using Au Jus?
I usually thicken it up just a little bit; with some mashed potato flakes; so it
clings nicely to the meat, without covering it up like a gravy would.

Blue Cheese dressing is a fantastic dipping sauce for Beef.
I like the "Litehouse" brand; but, there are other good ones out there.
0007766100316_215X215.jpg

Last edited:
Blue cheese and Brisket? I think I have just reached a state of inner peace and contentment just thinking about that. Great idea, I will absolutely give that a try.

The blue cheese does sound interesting.

If you want to also try a traditional commercial sauce, then Stubb's Original works pretty well with beef.

Blue Cheese... yes awesome, but why not use the real thing..

Just askin!

Bill

I like Bullseye BBQ sauce mixed with drippings and can of beef broth. You can also use those store bought packets to make gravy and/or au jus (think french dip). Doesn't get much simpler than that.

I know a lot of folks like to make their own sauces, but for some reason I've not had much luck going that route.

Pour 1 can of beef broth (pref low sodium) into a pot and bring to a simmer,
then add 1 tbs paprika, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp red cooking wine and a dash of your favorite dry chile. Simmer for 10-15 mins or until it reaches your preferred consistency, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool, then serve.

^^^ What skidder said. We got about 40% juices and 60% sauce; the sauce we
use is also about 40% Blues Hog Original and 60% Blues Hot Tennessee Red.

Thanks for the ideas...........I will give some of them a try before the big party. The Blue cheese thing will have to wait. I may try it for myself, but I'm not going to experiment to that degree on a bunch of people.........any bbq sauce would probably work for them, but I'm sure they would just dip celery sticks in there.

Thanks again,
Greg

Try brisket on a slice of white bread with some fresh avocado. It's surprisingly good. However, when I use sauce on beef, I go with Head Country. It has a classic BBQ beef flavor that reminds of what used to be served at a beef BBQ joint we had in my town when I was a kid.

I'm partial to this sauce recipe for anything beef.

Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 cups chopped sweet onion, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup catsup,
1 cup worcestershire, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar,
1/4 cup Texas Pete, 3 Tbls. chili powder, 6 cloves garlic minced,
2 tsp. salt
Combine in sauce pan, bring to simmer, simmer 1/2 hour....

Don't forget that horseradish is also a WONDERFUL complimentary flavor with beef.

I 2nd the horseradish. We put sliced brisket on a hoagie w/horseradish sauce and............funions. They're awsome. Also a little mustard (Roxys) sauce.:thumb:

I use au jus packets, but I add only 1/2 the water that it calls for and add drippings to it. less water makes it a bit thicker so it sticks to the brisket better, it also works well for reheating brisket in...

I lean towards a more "Texas-style" sauce on most of my beef. Tomato-based, but thinner and less sweet than a KC or Memphis-style sauce with a decided heat to it. Not quite as vinegary (is that a word:confused:) as a N. Carolina sauce, but still with a good tang.

For the heat, I use chipotles and serranos. No sugar, but a good no-sulphur molasses and honey for the sweet and red wine vinegar for the tang.

I also am a huge fan of Horseradish. My Grandpa used to say that the only reason God created beef was as a Horseradish delivery system.:thumb:

The Blue cheese thing will have to wait. I may try it for myself, but I'm not going to experiment to that degree on a bunch of people..

Thanks again,
Greg

It's not so much an experiment; as it as an Experience.:idea:

Why not offer your guests 2, or 3, or 4 options?:confused:
It wont take but a few seconds to open up a bottle of Blue Cheese
dressing; and set it on the table. Let your guest try the different
Flavors you have for them to taste.:clap2:

Make a nice "Au Jus" (french dip style), have some Horseraddish sauce,
some Blue Cheese dressing, and some Whiskey Butter for dipping.

Melt about 1/2 pound of butter...(if you clarify it, it's best) add a teaspoon
of ground black pepper, and a "Shot" of your favorite Whiskey....use
more; or less Whiskey, depending on how much of a "Kick" you want it to
have.:-D
If you don't have any, you can buy a small bottle of Jack Daniels at the
Liquor store for just a few dollars.

Don't boil the Whiskey Butter, just melt it gently; and keep it warm.

If you don't have any small sauce dishes for people to use...you can
usually get some Oriental style ones; with 3 or 4 small sections for
different sauces. They aren't very expensive; and are great for
dinners like yours.:thumb:

Here's a picture of one....the dish on the right is the one I am referring to.
Blue2And4PartDishesS9

Back