THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Also, I cook with alder (and maybe a stick of oak, sometimes). So I don't get the most powerfull smoke taste. Not like the guys who are using hickory and whatever else there is.

The smoke ring was damned near a half inch in! Some pieces were pretty harsh.
Jeff, it's easy to overdo smoke on a brisket (especially with hickory). In the most extreme cases it can even turn the meat bitter. It's generally agreed that at some point (120-140*) meat stops taking on smoke flavor. Past that certain point, whatever it is, its probably best to finish brisket with charcoal.
Besides the great eating, brisket is addictive in that it's such a challenge to cook. Just when you think you have it down to a science, you'll get a crappy cut that will be dry or tough or both despite having done everything "right". Even with all the great advice and sound techniques taught here, it'll take several packers for you to find your stride with brisket. You just have to keep cooking them, you don't get good at brisket cookin' ribs :wink:

david said:
We never do brisket without sauce, so that 1/2" smoke ring is just fine. If it's really too strong of smoke, chop it up and use it for chilli. Can't beat brisket chilli.

Got that right. Brisket chili is tops. That's why I never worry about cooking too many briskets. The more you try cooking brisket, the better you get and your chili gets better too!

Hmmm... brisket chili. Is there a recipe I should know about or just substitute brisket in place of regular meat in my favorite recipe? :)

Phil's got a recipe around here somewhere, but if you've got one you like, just use the brisket instead/in-addition/also (choose your method).

We also use brisket in stroganoff for a change of pace.

Neil said:
david said:
We never do brisket without sauce, so that 1/2" smoke ring is just fine. If it's really too strong of smoke, chop it up and use it for chilli. Can't beat brisket chilli.

Got that right. Brisket chili is tops. That's why I never worry about cooking too many briskets. The more you try cooking brisket, the better you get and your chili gets better too!

Yup.

chiliweb.jpg

Is it that you put fruits anywhere or you can put anything in a fruit? I get that confused....:twisted: :mrgreen:

Back