Long winded greetings from Delaware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowerlowerbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Been lurking about here and posting periodically over the past couple months and suppose I ought to introduce myself.... (always been bad with the formalities).

My name is Mark and I'm a BBQ-aholic.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've been a fan of cooking and fire separately since I was a kid and when I was old enough to combine the 2, I was hooked.:wink: Being impatient and having a short attention span, I've always been a griller and not so much a BBQer. I know, I know :icon_blush::icon_blush:, but my Weber gasser has served me so well over the years. There's also a Weber kettle been floating around the plantation for about 15 years...but has been kinda lonely due to my "addiction" to propane. But I do show her some love now and then when the mood strikes me.

My buddy (and teammate) Mike who I've known for about 18 years is a hardcore charcoal kinda guy...doesn't even own a gasser and never has. Well, he and his wife moved to FLA for a few years, had a family and finally moved back here to DE about 3 years ago. Back in Summer 2008, he calls me and tells me that he and his brother are doing a BBQ comp in Dover, DE and asked if I wanted to join in. Of course I said YES, of course I had no idea what I was in for, of course I did what I normally do at home, of course I did not fare well...but we all had a he!! of a time. His family, my family we all joined in and had a blast. Fast forward a year to October 2009, he and I decide to form our own team, compete in Dover again, refine our recipes a bit, did absolutely no practice or research (again), were met with some of the worse God-awful weather you can imagine, but in the end did better than '08. (Did you see us on BBQ Pitmasters? Prolly not...)

Thus began...the ADDICTION!

I've always been a huge fan of Weber's products but had never seen this WSM thingy until last year when we used Mike's brother's WSM in that comp. WOW, what an awesome piece of gear that is! It just hummed along all night through that nasty weather and I knew I had to have one. After that comp is when I finally went online and discovered this wonderful BBQ community. The past 6 months or so has been like going to school reading this message board (and TVWB, too) and learning how the more experienced BBQ chefs do this thing we all love to do. So now, I am trying to give back myself as much as I can to this community.:cool:

Since gaining this new "addiction", Mike and I each bought our own WSMs and plan to do 5 comps this summer. We've been practicing, developing and documenting our recipes and creating a cooking schedule for competition. And we're in far better shape than we were last year...thanks in large part to this community. THANK YOU!!! (I cant say that enough).

As you can see in my sig, we are called Slower Lower BBQ (www.slowerlowerbbq.com)and we'll be in Salisbury in April, Middletown, DE in May, Bel Air, MD in August, hopefully Dover (whenever that will be) and one other in our area. We hope to meet some of you out there this summer.

-Mark

Glad you finally came out of the closet so we can welcome you to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back