Long island members!!!

Anchors Smokeshop

is one Smokin' Farker
I have been a member of this site for a few months and I noticed that there are a lot of members on here from Long Island. I also realized that there aren’t many events held on Long Island. Why is that? Is Long Island considered the red-headed stepchild of the barbecue community? Every other region has some sort of barbecue society or association and numerous events, but Long Island has nothing. Sure, there’s the New England Barbecue Society, but New Yorkers, especially Long Islanders, don’t consider themselves being from New England. Isn’t it time that we join together and form our own association, the Long Island Barbecue Association? I’m talking about a real legitimate association with members, directors and a mission. I’ve already taken it upon myself to purchase the domain www.libbqa.com in case this picks up some steam. I am asking all of the current brethren members to be the founding members of this association. With your help, we can make this happen. I’m proposing a gathering of all Long Island members to get together and discuss this in greater depth and see if we can put our heads together to make this happen. Am I way out of my league or is this a good idea? Long Island members, please reply.
:twisted:

Why worry about a LI based association...

The BBQ Bethren's HQ is in Long Island.

The Battle of the BBQ Brethren is in Long Island.

There have been several contests within NYC.

Why try define boundaries... when the BBQ Brethren is an international community?

Just sayin'...

Why worry about a LI based association...

The BBQ Bethren's HQ is in Long Island.

The Battle of the BBQ Brethren is in Long Island.

There have been several contests within NYC.

Why try define boundaries... when the BBQ Brethren is an international community?

Just sayin'...

I thought it would be a nice way for us Long Islanders to get to know each other better and to put Long Island BBQ on the map. We live in the shadows of the true bbq states, as well as NYC. Plus, I don't know about you, but I'm married with children. If I could get out of the house one Sunday a month to hang out with other LI'ers who share the same passion for bbq, well, that's reason enough for me.

Your idea is not the first one to be suggested, and probably won't be the last. The work and time required to start an organization and then keep it operational is to say the least monumental. I think your goal of spreading BBQ and fellowship is great and i think you can work toward that by starting out small, perhaps organize a Long Island Bash and see how that goes. :p. You might want to seek out some LI brethren to help you get it started.

In today's world getting people to commit to joining or supporting anything is a chore. I wish you luck on your quest to spread the word of Q.

I have been a member of this site for a few months and I noticed that there are a lot of members on here from Long Island. I also realized that there aren’t many events held on Long Island. Why is that? Is Long Island considered the red-headed stepchild of the barbecue community? Every other region has some sort of barbecue society or association and numerous events, but Long Island has nothing. Sure, there’s the New England Barbecue Society, but New Yorkers, especially Long Islanders, don’t consider themselves being from New England. Isn’t it time that we join together and form our own association, the Long Island Barbecue Association? I’m talking about a real legitimate association with members, directors and a mission. I’ve already taken it upon myself to purchase the domain www.libbqa.com in case this picks up some steam. I am asking all of the current brethren members to be the founding members of this association. With your help, we can make this happen. I’m proposing a gathering of all Long Island members to get together and discuss this in greater depth and see if we can put our heads together to make this happen. Am I way out of my league or is this a good idea? Long Island members, please reply.
:twisted:

Wow..As the founder of this organization 7 years ago, i think I'm taken aback with some of the above. (In bold). Am I missing something. ???

Some facts. The BBQ-BRETHERN IS LONG ISLAND BASED, with a national, (actually)global membership.

We have 15,000 members are in 190 countries, and we have a mission AND a charter.

We have no less than four large charity cooks with long island members involvement each year.

We have bashes(we ARE due for one) and get together fairly often.

Our Namesake contest is here on Long Island and in its fourth year.

I just started www.BBQ101-LI.com and had an extremely successful first class here on Long Island. A goal is to have these classes nationwide under our guise.

I must have missed a memo somewhere. :shocked:

BTW, i may be mistaken, or thinking of another org, but i believe I applied to this organization(or a similar named one) a few years ago when it was looking for directors. Never heard back.

If I could get out of the house one Sunday a month to hang out with other LI'ers who share the same passion for bbq, well, that's reason enough for me.

Thats easy..

call for a bash, name the location and time and people show up. Im up for the next one. i think we are due..and i need a break.

Wow..As the founder of this organization 7 years ago, i think I'm taken aback with some of the above. (In bold). Am I missing something. ???

Some facts. The BBQ-BRETHERN IS LONG ISLAND BASED, with a national, (actually)global membership.

We have 15,000 members are in 190 countries, and we have a mission AND a charter.

We have no less than four large charity cooks with long island members involvement each year.

We have bashes(we ARE due for one) and get together fairly often.

Our Namesake contest is here on Long Island and in its fourth year.

I just started www.BBQ101-LI.com and had an extremely successful first class here on Long Island. A goal is to have these classes nationwide under our guise.

I must have missed a memo somewhere. :shocked:

BTW, i may be mistaken, or thinking of another org, but i believe I applied to this organization(or a similar named one) a few years ago when it was looking for directors. Never heard back.

As the founder of this site, I am not trying to insult you. Maybe because I am a newbie, I haven't experienced the camaraderie yet. I was not trying to step on any toes, I just want to get more involved with the local barbecue community.

A bash would be good, many of us miss the Willie B parking lot bashes from a while back, there were some great gatherings on a Sunday for example.

Don't stress it James !!!

With some more time here I think you'll see that most, if not all of us, on LI are so closely attached to the Brethren given it's origins, that it really is better than what could yield from a new start up org. given the footprint the BBQ Brethren has built already.

There's lots of friendships locally. Phil and Wes noted some great examples of the fun things that have gone down..and there are many more we've had. Sometimes they are not planned so far in advance and things just happen in a matter of days or weeks.

We'll also usually go out of our way to meet up with a Brethren member from out of state who is in NY for work, vacation or other. (Plowboy, HoDeDo, Ron_L, BigDog, drbbq, BBQ Bandit, etc all come to mind..) Chit, even CarbonToe, from across the Atlantic Ocean in the UK, on a vacation with his girl in NYC and nearly a dozen of us met them in NYC and hit up two BBQ joints for a Brethren gathering.

Stick around and you'll see it...

and if you're itchin' just let us know which Hooters to meet at and what time and you'll find company...:wink:

Last edited:
Hey James,
I'm a newer newbie than you. But I have found this LI crew very accessible and extremely generous with their time and information.
I haven't been to a gathering, but went to Willie's that was great.
I think maybe someone should schedule a bash somewhere, let's not banter about where, someone pick a place and time and let's do it!

Sorry if i came across pissy folks.. I should know beeter than to log in after a bad day.. Sorry James(Anchor smokeshop)

Im up for a get together.. but my weekends are booked till end july..so no can do at my place.,.... maybe a hooters bash would be easiest unless someone gives up a yard.. and Vinny DOES have that New BYC he wants to to show off. :)

As the founder of this site, I am not trying to insult you. Maybe because I am a newbie, I haven't experienced the camaraderie yet. I was not trying to step on any toes, I just want to get more involved with the local barbecue community.

HUH???

You would experience the camraderie if you accepted it.

You've been posting on here for about two weeks and already have had an offer of help from SIDE.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1312970&postcount=140
Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop
Rookie from Seaford joining this as 1st competition. So what that I only have a COS and I'll be competing against pro's with big expensive gear. Not too intimidating!

James
The Smoke'n Barrel
(formerly Anchor's Smokeshop....what a dumb name:doh:)
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye
t

You'll be alright! I cook with a couple $200 weber smokey mountains and have done alright with a little practice. We're all out there to have fun despite the trash talking. Let me know if you need any input in advance.

When a cook like SIDE offers, it would be wise to accept. Yeah, he's a little strange, in an entertaining sort of way :wink:, BUT the dude can cook!

Oh, and Long Island is the Mecca of BBQ. Just don't tell that to the guys from KC though, 'cause still think that they are.

Last edited:
Sorry if i came across pissy folks.. I should know beeter than to log in after a bad day.. Sorry James(Anchor smokeshop)

Im up for a get together.. but my weekends are booked till end july..so no can do at my place.,.... maybe a hooters bash would be easiest unless someone gives up a yard.. and Vinny DOES have that New BYC he wants to to show off. :)
After 4 years my deck is finally done so my place is available. Pick a weekend

Your place, you pick the date. I'll bring the beer!

Gonna look at the calendar. Just for the record, I think your association idea is a goods thing. Even though the brethren was "founded " here on Long Island , it doesnt give Long Island an identity. An association as far as having a toy points and a team of the year award for a local team would be as far as it should go, not a sanctioning body.

BeBA.

Big East BBQ Association.

One day it'll be bigger than sliced Pineapples! But for now, its DBA is WILLie B BBQ Association.

Back