Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the hell called 12-14 week wait. Eighty days left for me... :(

(No disrespect to LSG. When you build quality things with a personal touch, you are going to get a backlog.)

Thanks!! Now like I have read so many times in this thread, the wait begins.... They say the two best days of a boat owner's life is the day they buy the boat and the day they sell thier boat...well I have never sold my boat,,,,,, but I am now thinking my best days are the day I ordered my LSG Mini and the day I will get to drive down to pick it up!!

Heck, I was so excited about making the order I have not even thought of the first cook yet!!! That I am sure will jump to the top!!

Ok guys, I have a question for you guru using guys with the lsg cabinet. I am in the middle of my 1st cook and am having a little trouble with the temperature control. It took quite a while to get up to 250 using the guru and the ball valve open. It got to 250 and I shut down the bale valve to closed and closed the damper down half way. It could not hold temp there by itself with the just the fan, and it is a 25 cfm fan too. I had to open the ball valve up to get it back up to 250. So my question is how do you guys have your ball valve and exhaust when using the guru? Do you guys even use the other air intake when you use the guru? I have the guru on the pipe closest to the door and the ball valve on the back pipe. Thanks

Ok guys, I have a question for you guru using guys with the lsg cabinet. I am in the middle of my 1st cook and am having a little trouble with the temperature control. It took quite a while to get up to 250 using the guru and the ball valve open. It got to 250 and I shut down the bale valve to closed and closed the damper down half way. It could not hold temp there by itself with the just the fan, and it is a 25 cfm fan too. I had to open the ball valve up to get it back up to 250. So my question is how do you guys have your ball valve and exhaust when using the guru? Do you guys even use the other air intake when you use the guru? I have the guru on the pipe closest to the door and the ball valve on the back pipe. Thanks

Sounds like its an issue with the way you arranged your fuel. Irregardless of how much fuel you put in the box always stack it to the top of the fire box walls. For example 5lbs of charcoal will burn 2 totally different ways depending on how you arrange it. 5lbs spread out thinly across the whole bottom of the box will not burn long or hold temp well at all but 5bls stacked up high and along one wall will go for 5+ hours with no problem. Also if your using water only put a little in to start and add the rest after your food is on and pit is up to temp. If this isn't were you went wrong let us know and we will be happy to help you figure out what you are doing wrong.

Thanks
Chris

I ran it using t plates. I filled the charcoal up to the top of the walls as well. I didn't add any water until I got the temperature up to 250. I don't think I added enough water when I first started the cook. I have been chasing rising temperatures when it got too low with water. I just put quite a bit in it, so now it is climbing back up slowly. Brisket flat looks good though.

Attachments

• 20150307_130328.jpg
    20150307_130328.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 427
Well, I think I must have done something wrong when I loaded the charcoal, because I have burned through 20 lbs of charcoal in 6 hours. I am thinking I didn't get it packed in there tight enough and I burned through it. Reloading and trying again

Well, I think I must have done something wrong when I loaded the charcoal, because I have burned through 20 lbs of charcoal in 6 hours. I am thinking I didn't get it packed in there tight enough and I burned through it. Reloading and trying again

That does not sound right. I don't have an LSG but they are supposed to be pretty efficient. I am beginning to think maybe the thermometer is off.

I guess this is a question for the vertical offset folks with the warming box / oven option. Anyone thought of having holes drilled and capped off for a rotisserie over the firebox? I saw a thread where someone talked of using a rotisserie and wondered how hard it would be to add the holes and buy an after market kit for the rotisserie.

I ran it using t plates. I filled the charcoal up to the top of the walls as well. I didn't add any water until I got the temperature up to 250. I don't think I added enough water when I first started the cook. I have been chasing rising temperatures when it got too low with water. I just put quite a bit in it, so now it is climbing back up slowly. Brisket flat looks good though.

Sounds like we are missing something very simple, 5 hours with 20lbs is less than what we get on our offset smokers with the charcoal basket in a uninsulated fire box. You should get 15-20 hours with or with out water so if you didn't figure it out this weekend give me a call and I will be happy to help you figure it out.

Thanks
Chris

just talked to chris today and placed my order for the full size vertical smoker now for the long wait 9 week count down

Nine weeks? I am a week in and was told 12 - 14. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's only 9 weeks for you, that means I might get mine in 8 weeks...

Nine weeks? I am a week in and was told 12 - 14. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's only 9 weeks for you, that means I might get mine in 8 weeks...

We run different lead times on the different categories of products, insulated smokers are faster because of the way we build them, offsets are more time consuming mainly due to fitting of the doors.

Chris

We run different lead times on the different categories of products, insulated smokers are faster because of the way we build them, offsets are more time consuming mainly due to fitting of the doors.

Chris

Damn Chris. Had my hopes up. Thought you hired an extra body or something and the schedule got shortened. :biggrin1: Oh well. Seventy-five days and counting (give or take)...:shocked: :thumb:

I am still not 100% sure I want to order the guru. Probably will...

Count me in as a proud owner of a Lone Star Cabinet. I picked up the one that was in the classifieds. I can't wait to light it off & start cooking.

Back