Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Do they sell foil wide enough to line the water pan? I have mine full of foil balls and put foil over the balls. Just toss the foil when I'm done but my water pan is only 17x21. Only thing I have to clean are the grates and ash.

Guys I am so glad I came across this thread. Anticipating the arrival of my LSIS I had been looking for any type of post about my insulated vertical smoker and I couldn't find anything. Last night I was about to go to bed and I tried a different search and came across this thread. After I read through it, it glad to know that everyone has experienced the same issues I had. I was almost at the point that I had made a $$$ mistake in purchasing this smoker. I was upgrading from a baby Stumps smoker and although it wasn't a water smoker, controlling the temp was easy.

Guys this is the problem I was having. When I first got my smoker and seasoned it, I did not use my guru and it held temp well and I was able to raise it to 250-275 easily. However on my first cook, I had issues. My guru and teltru thermometer was off by 20+ degrees. I didn't know which thermometer to believe. Not until I bought a oven thermometer to place on my grates was I convinced that the guru was off. I am running my guru with with a 10cfm fan. I see that you guys was having no issues with the guru. Why was I having issues? I went through 20lbs of charcoal quickly and my guru was constantly stoking. I have so much to talk about and I don't want to be all over the place so let's start with this post. Guys I am happy to have found you!20140621_164607 (1).jpg

20140621_164645.jpg

20140615_183829_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20140625_112812.jpg

I cook dry now and able to keep it cleaner. I use two pans that sit above the fire pan to collect drippings. Then I just scrape the pan with am old ice scrapper, re oil, and Windex the stainless. Boom. Clean. 30 minutes

GGEE6688,

This is exaclty how I was going to run my smoker. After I clean my water pan again where I can put water in it and it's clear water, I was going to put either heavy duty foil in the bottom and pan on top to catch the dripping and if I need moisture, I would put a water pan on one of the shelves.

I haven't gotten a cover made for my smoker yet and I have about 3 different ss cleaners and I have yet to find one I really like. I find myself having OCD always wanting to keeps my doors clean. I went out of town this weekend and my tarp came off and now I have I guess water stains that I can't get off the door.:sad:

I have food stains on my doors. My smoker is garage and my cars are outside. Wife was making fun of me cause the smoker was out in the rain at the competition yesterday.

I have food stains on my doors. My smoker is garage and my cars are outside. Wife was making fun of me cause the smoker was out in the rain at the competition yesterday.

Are your stains permanent? I asked Chris if my door could be painted a solid color like on my stumps. If the door ever becomes unsightly, I may look into getting the entire smoker painted.

Are your stains permanent? I asked Chris if my door could be painted a solid color like on my stumps. If the door ever becomes unsightly, I may look into getting the entire smoker painted.

I have food stains on my firebox door as well. I can't clean them off. This is going to happen when you slide your grates out when food and grease is dripping down...any ideas on how to clean them would be great.

I am not going to smoke dry, as I really like smoking with water. A foil water pan (good idea) would defeat the purpose of the awesome refill feature. I am not crazy about cleaning the water pan, but it does not bother me too much.

You can make a drip tray very cheaply. I made one for mine. Doesn't look very professional but my doors are spotless. It's cheap aluminum flashing from home depot. I bent the edges so it would look a little better. For your LSG you might have to bend the edge that is against the smoker to screw it to the smoker. 2 holes are all you need. My doors are inset so it was much easier. The flashing is lightweight and easy to cut and bend.

Last edited:
You can make a drip tray very cheaply. I made one for mine. Doesn't look very professional but my doors are spotless. It's cheap aluminum flashing from home depot. I bent the edges so it would look a little better. For your LSG you might have to bend the edge that is against the smoker to screw it to the smoker. 2 holes are all you need. My doors are inset so it was much easier. The flashing is lightweight and easy to cut and bend.

Great idea...I'll look into that as well! Thanks!

I have food stains on my firebox door as well. I can't clean them off. This is going to happen when you slide your grates out when food and grease is dripping down...any ideas on how to clean them would be great.

I am not going to smoke dry, as I really like smoking with water. A foil water pan (good idea) would defeat the purpose of the awesome refill feature. I am not crazy about cleaning the water pan, but it does not bother me too much.
Could you float some disposable pans in the water pan? That might catch most of your drippings. What about pans on the bottom rack? I don't have an LSG but I really like to troubleshoot stuff! I'm assuming the issue is the nasty mess in the water pan after a cook.

Could you float some disposable pans in the water pan? That might catch most of your drippings. What about pans on the bottom rack? I don't have an LSG but I really like to troubleshoot stuff! I'm assuming the issue is the nasty mess in the water pan after a cook.

There isn't enough clearance to float pans in the water (close to the bottom rack)...I also have been using all 4 grates to cook. If I was using the top 3 racks I could put pans on the very bottom rack to catch the grease. Ya the water pan gets real grimy with grease after 24 hours of cooking 60lbs of meats/ribs and isn't pleasant to flush out and clean :)

Great idea...I'll look into that as well! Thanks!

After my 2nd cook I had 1 drip on my door.:shocked: I had to do something.

Dollar Tree of all places sells LA's Awesome cleaner. A fellow brethren recommended it for grease statins. It worked on all my cookers. It's worth a try for $1. Test it on an underside of your doors to make sure it doesn't screw up SS.

This is what I am going to do. I cleaned my water pan out this evening after spraying some Oven Off in there. I want to run water in there and it's sparking clear. What I am going to do on my next cook is run my smoker dry. Line the water pan with HD aluminum foil from Sam's and put in some drip pans with water in it. I use a paint scraper to get my water pan clean like new! I may go with two metal cooking pans and elevate them with metal or a fire brick.

What do you think?

This is what I am going to do. I cleaned my water pan out this evening after spraying some Oven Off in there. I want to run water in there and it's sparking clear. What I am going to do on my next cook is run my smoker dry. Line the water pan with HD aluminum foil from Sam's and put in some drip pans with water in it. I use a paint scraper to get my water pan clean like new! I may go with two metal cooking pans and elevate them with metal or a fire brick.

What do you think?

I would be careful with oven cleaners inside the smoker. Even the vapors are corrosive and toxic, and you don't want those chemicals on the inside walls of the smoker.

Raising 2 foil pans with firebricks and filling with water is a great idea. The only disadvantage is the need to refil would be cumbersome, and you would have to open the door for longer than I would like to do.

I found out that the foil will stick a little too the bottom of the empty water pan so I have foil balls in my water pan and foil over the balls with the edges of the foil bent up like a pan. It catches all the drippings and clean up is quick and easy. Try without water once. You may like it.

Both are good points. After my next cook I shouldn't have to use Easy Off. I am waiting for the moderator to approve my main post with my pics and main questions.

I have been following Chris's (from lone star grillz) tips on cleaning....

I let the coals burn themselves out (not much left after 24 hour burn) and in turn dry out the water pan. I empty out the ashes, scrape the bottom (fire side) of the water pan then, scrape the inside of the water pan and rinse it out with hot water. I brush excess build up off the grates, then spray the whole pit down with Pam for storage until the next cook. The stainless is pain to keep clean :)

How are you guys cleaning out your pits? Looking for faster or more efficient ways...

I switched to foil pans after taking Myron Mixon's cooking class in 2004. I empty the water pan after taking the food off and let it dry out while the fire burns down. There is no cleanup necessary in the cooking chamber after a cook. The water pan is dry and without grease. The grates don't even need a wire brush. All you need to do is spray the water pan with Pam spray. The only cleanup necessary is to empty the ashes and spray the fire chamber with Pam spray.

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

I switched to foil pans after taking Myron Mixon's cooking class in 2004. I empty the water pan after taking the food off and let it dry out while the fire burns down. There is no cleanup necessary in the cooking chamber after a cook. The water pan is dry and without grease. The grates don't even need a wire brush. All you need to do is spray the water pan with Pam spray. The only cleanup necessary is to empty the ashes and spray the fire chamber with Pam spray.

Do your meats come out with even colored bark without flipping? I have been meaning to try pans but forget every time. Does anybody else spray their fire chamber with Pam and if so, how often?

Back