THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ya, it does say $14.... Google search lodge 10 chef skillet results in this...
...and I just bought 2 @ that price.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 313
I've got a couple of these Lodge cast iron pans and they are kind of a pain in the butt. The surface is quite rough so even with a very good seasoning I'm getting quite a bit of food sticking to the surfaces. I looked online and it's kind of a known thing with cheaper cast iron pans, so a lot of people are sanding down the rough surface so it performs better.

I've got a couple of these Lodge cast iron pans and they are kind of a pain in the butt. The surface is quite rough so even with a very good seasoning I'm getting quite a bit of food sticking to the surfaces. I looked online and it's kind of a known thing with cheaper cast iron pans, so a lot of people are sanding down the rough surface so it performs better.

They just need a couple of decades of use.

I’ve got a new and an old 10” Lodge. I’ve used the new one for all sorts of stuff and don’t have a problem with anything sticking. I do prefer the older one, but I got it at a yard sale and promised the wife I’d resell it. I guess there’s still time. :)

What’s funny is that some Teflon skillets are made rough on purpose, and I believe that it’s to aid in the non-stickiness factor.

I have one, and like it. The chefs skillet has sloped sides, instead of the standard straight sides on most CI skillets. It is nice for sauteing. It also has a slight curve to the handle, which for me, is harder to hold onto when it gets hot. So I don't use it in the oven much.

The older ci skillets were rougher than the newer versions. I wouldn't do to much smoothing of the surface. Maybe just some rough peaks.

I bought a new one a little while back and after doing a few oven seasonings nothing sticks, Use metal spatulas and the bottom will smooth out quickly enough, mine is already unrecognisable after 6 months.

Not glassy smooth by any means but certainly non-stick. Glassy smooth cast iron has trouble holding on to seasoning.

For those who think new cast iron is rough and needs to be sanded smooth first, check out carbon steel pans.

Carbon steel pans cook like cast iron but are much much better. They are smoother right from the start and don’t require as much maintenance as CI. Plus they aren’t as heavy so it’s easier to move around.

I’ve got a new and an old 10” Lodge. I’ve used the new one for all sorts of stuff and don’t have a problem with anything sticking. I do prefer the older one, but I got it at a yard sale and promised the wife I’d resell it. I guess there’s still time. :)

What’s funny is that some Teflon skillets are made rough on purpose, and I believe that it’s to aid in the non-stickiness factor.

Try doing scrambled eggs and see how it works out. When I got my first cast iron I seasoned it after every use and it was smooth like glass all the time. But my wife used it to brown some beef and then added a bunch of tomato sauce and that acid ruined the seasoning. She then left it to soak overnight and when I saw it in the morning it was orange like the sun. haha I hit it with steel wool and re-seasoned it but it never worked the same.

Try doing scrambled eggs and see how it works out. When I got my first cast iron I seasoned it after every use and it was smooth like glass all the time. But my wife used it to brown some beef and then added a bunch of tomato sauce and that acid ruined the seasoning. She then left it to soak overnight and when I saw it in the morning it was orange like the sun. haha I hit it with steel wool and re-seasoned it but it never worked the same.

I make scrambled eggs and have even made omelettes in them. These days though I usually use a different pan for eggs since I don’t need that CI heat to sear. I should try it for eggs tomorrow morning just to see. Maybe you need to throw yours in some coals to burn everything off and start from scratch.

You really can't blame the pan, for your wife mistreating it. You should avoid anything acidic for several months of use. No beans either. You should never leave CI in water overnight. If you want it to stay nice, it should be cleaned shortly after using, and oiled and baked in the oven. It will treat you as well as you treat it.

I make scrambled eggs and have even made omelettes in them. These days though I usually use a different pan for eggs since I don’t need that CI heat to sear. I should try it for eggs tomorrow morning just to see. Maybe you need to throw yours in some coals to burn everything off and start from scratch.

This is a good idea. I have two that I use for general purpose and both are about in the same place in terms of seasoning. I'm going to sand one down and do the other your way and see how they perform afterwards. Thanks

This is a good idea. I have two that I use for general purpose and both are about in the same place in terms of seasoning. I'm going to sand one down and do the other your way and see how they perform afterwards. Thanks

I look forward to hearing your results!

Back