Lockhart Sausage

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
My second attempt was a recipe I found on line for Smitty’s sausage - went with a course grind - salt, pepper and cayenne - and bull flour as a binder

Tried some different style links

And “cold smoked” them on my Royal Fab direct heat cooker

Will give them a try on Monday

So how did the recipe turn out? is it a keeper? if so, would you like to share it with us? How did the Bull Flour work out?

Thanks,

Robert

So how did the recipe turn out? is it a keeper? if so, would you like to share it with us? How did the Bull Flour work out?

Thanks,

Robert

Have not tried them yet - vacuum sealed most of them - but have a few links layed put for tomorrow - will update after I taste 😀

But here is what I did

85/15 brisket/pork belly

2% kosher salt
1% 16 mesh black pepper
.35% cayenne
.25% cure
4% Bull Flour Binder
10% water

Cased them Friday afternoon - rested in fridge for 12 plus hours for the cure

“Cold Smoked” them for 3.5 hours at 140 - 160 - they had an internal temp of 152 when I took them off the smoker

Ice bath for 15 minutes

Rested on wire racks on counter for an hour or so

How did the direct cooker do compared to the offset?

Ran a little warmer than the offset - but liked the hanging system for it - and it ran a very smoky fire

Had a baffle plate directly above the fire - so kept the direct heat away from the links

Just need to start with a smaller charcoal bed - ran the entire 3-4 hours on a half charcoal chimney and one dense split

… but liked the hanging system for it …

Thanks for the feedback on the two methods. I found a stainless meat hanging hook(s hook) that would let you remove the bottom racks and hang from the top rack as an option if you decide to use the offset again.
Btw, sausage looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

These are on my to do list. I picked up some some bull binder from NW Butcher supply. Shipping from Mitchlich was too high. I just don't know if this stuff is right. They aren't very descriptive on the site. Where'd you get yours?

These are on my to do list. I picked up some some bull binder from NW Butcher supply. Shipping from Mitchlich was too high. I just don't know if this stuff is right. They aren't very descriptive on the site. Where'd you get yours?

I bit the bullet and ordered it from Mitchlich

Had a couple links today - sausage was very good - think I may need to add more fat to the next batch 😀

I bit the bullet and ordered it from Mitchlich

Had a couple links today - sausage was very good - think I may need to add more fat to the next batch 😀

Thanks Ted.

You're killing us here... How hard would it have to be to give us a pic of a nice single slice from one off the smoker or after the water bath.. huh?

And now you've had some but no pic of that either... I'm in agony here.

Arrrrgggghhhhhhh.

Looks good! Your process has me baffled on my own process. I tried making some venison/pork snack sticks for the first time ever several weeks back. I have an old country offset, so I laid them all out on the grate to cold smoke them. You said it took 3-4 hours for internal temp to get up to 152 and those are way bigger than the 19mm casing I used for my snack sticks. I probably cooked mine 6-7 hours initially at low temps like you (i think, don't have my journal in front of me where I wrote it down) so I'm not sure what I was doing "wrong". I even bumped the temps up into the 250-300 range towards the end just trying to push the darn things to completion, it was so frustrating. I'd be perfectly happy with a 3-4 hour smoke for something like this, not a 6-7 hour or longer smoke! It made me debate getting an electric smoker to hang them in just for this process if I decide to do it again
Photo of mine (on the bottom) vs a commercial version on the top. Mine were not bad for a first attempt, I just didn’t think it would take that long to cold smoke something so skinny and get them up to 150 ish internal temp

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7257.jpg
    IMG_7257.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 40
Back