Loaded Baked Potato

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Did you know there is a Hall of Flame Cook-Off Throwdown going on? There is! You should enter!

Searching through 14 years worth of Winning Throwdown entries was tough, but I settled on a simple one. Captain Ron's Loaded Baked Potato from 2018 with my spin on it.

Ron used pulled pork and his famous Apple Slaw, unfortunately, it looks like it's also a secret recipe as I couldn't find it on the Brethren. I went with pulled chicken & a Summer Slaw from The Jewels. Summer Slaw is basically a sweeter slaw with bits of cukes, maters & chives mixed in. I usually get that when I'm lazy and they don't have their Vine-Gar slaw.

Couple of chicken thighs coated with Chickalicious 313 Sweet Rub I received from jzadski during the last trade round.

xplKjvw.jpg

Bvu9XaGh.jpg

Couple big 'ol taters on the Big Joe

v13ETbVh.jpg

After giving the taters a head start, added a chunk of post oak and threw the thighs on.

o8T1ooah.jpg

BMTSj4mh.jpg

SrIommRh.jpg

After about an hour taters are done. Cut em open, fluff up the inside and add some butter, because everyone loves extra butter and extra rub, Sucklebusters 1836.

p1CComRh.jpg

oVZxbvGh.jpg

Topped with a generous portion of pulled chicken, Summer Slaw & extra BBQ sauce, Meyer's Smokehouse Original in this case.

JWlAPJUh.jpg

iKXqR7kh.jpg

My version of Ron_L's winning dish was oh sooo good. Thanks Ron and thanks for looking.

riile9dh.jpg

Last edited:
Couple things go with Texas….

Say’n Y’all, Slaw and Loaded Taters

Nice work sir!

You made a meal out of a tater. Nice.

Never having seen Ron's version, I would have eaten that thigh with the tater and slaw on the side. Sour cream and chives. But then, I'm not as adventurous as you.

Can't say I'm in line with slaw on my meaty tater.....but will keep an open mind till experience demands a retraction.
Ed

Slaw on a potato? Now I’ve seen it all…..
Can't say I'm in line with slaw on my meaty tater.....but will keep an open mind till experience demands a retraction.
Ed
Wasn't sure about it, but I've been lucky enough to sample Ron L's cooking over the years so I trusted him. It works, sort of like putting slaw on your pulled pork sandwich which is a thing in the South.

that looks great

I almost think a little jalapeno in the sweet slaw could be a nice contrast/kick (just thinking aloud here) to add (not that yours needs addition)

I'm definitely making a version of this this summer.

Back