Live cook, Akuashi short rib challenge

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
Planned on cooking beef ribs for Mother's Day. My wife loves beef rib tacos. Basically smoked beef rib cubes, avocado, picked onion and cilantro on a corn tortilla. The flavors fit perfectly and it is an excellent taco.

I usually buy my beef ribs from a local meat market. This is not exactly a place to buy fine grades of beef. Their customer base is basically lower economic types. They do have a wide selection, the people are super nice and they made some of the best sausage in the state. They also sell beef short ribs in 4 bone racks. The name of this market for Houston brethren is B&W meat market. The short ribs are good but not much marbelling. That is all I have ever cooked in terms of short ribs so that is where I planned to purchase for today.

I was running around town after a tennis match and stopped off at a local grill store(Texas,Star Grill shop) to kill time and look around. No plans to buy anything. As I was checking out(can't leave empty handed) I noted a fridge with some fine meats in it. In addition to some beautiful steaks they had akuashi beef ribs in cryo wrap. 8 bones total. Holiday weekend so wtf? In the cooler they go.

Still had to stop at B&W for some sausage so I picked up a single rack of their short ribs. 12 bones total for plenty of meals for the week.

Have both pits rolling at 250 with post oak and a litttle pecan

Ribs ready to go on, the two akuashi are on the right. Noticeable difference in marbling.

Last edited:
An hour fifteen minutes in. Temps actually settled in on both pits at 225. After I took the pics below, the smell of drippings netting the metal pizza pan deflector on the UDS fill the air.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Agree that left over short rib meat makes some delicious tacos.

5 hours in. The non akuashi ribs are on the left. About to go into the butcher paper. The akuashi still have a way to go.

Also throwing some mahi mahi and steelhead trout on the smoker at 300. Will cook, chill and add to my fish salad mixture for lunches this week.

Also whipped up some pico de gallo. I love the looks of some fresh pico.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 122
Awesome! Never thought of using short ribs for beef tacos. My wife loved tacos, but won't eat short ribs so I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Awesome! Never thought of using short ribs for beef tacos. My wife loved tacos, but won't eat short ribs so I'll give this a try. Thanks!

I hear you on that. Short ribs can be a handful on their own because of the richness. Especially with the akuashi. But cubed up in a tortilla with avocado, picked onion and a little cilantro you cannot go wrong

Man those Tacos do look tasty. I could go for a plate of them. Hard to find beef ribs around here. I guess I need to see if the local meat market will cut me some when they process next time.

Back