Lil help! Chicken appearance

I would agree that the rub, if that is what is causing the little bumbs be ground finer. Also agree with chichen looking a littel dull.
Ford is right fill that box with meat. While this is not a parsely judging comp you do put it in there for a reason, to make the meat look better. I have had many judges tell me that areas of green between cuts of meat look bad but areas of green around the outside look good. Fill the box with meat and make sure there is a nice border of parsely around the outside. Soak parsely in a little ice water to freshen it up right before turn in putting in the box. by adding more to box you can cover up imperfections in meat, or hid them with parsely around edges. Bottom bump on piece #2 and right edge bump on #6. That is what I see that judges have told me that they don't like to see in boxes.

Big Mike

Is it a parsley judging comp?

If it's in the box..right or wrong, it's being judged.

Having said that, I don't think there is enough wrong with the parsley that you would lose anything for it.

I do think, with thighs that size, I'd probably fill the box. You could fit 9 in there.

The color is throwing me off a bit. It seems to look a little orange.. more like a buffalo sauce. Of course there is no standard for color, but if it makes it look less appealing, you lose points. I also like more of a sheen, but that's also more of a personal opinion.

I'd have been between a 7 and an 8.

A solid 8 from me. Hard to tell with a photo but the surface of the skin looks grainy which is less appealing than smooth. Rub? If so, try grinding it in a coffee grinder then "dusting" then a final very light coat of either sauce or EVOO depending on your taste parameters.

Tough one! I think that is a very good looking box but something about it isn't popping. Perhaps it is the picture but I would give it an 8. The parsley looks a little pale and wilted.

THIS is one of many reasons I prefer MBN over KCBS. When you're getting clipped because of wilted parsley in a blind BBQ box there's something wrong :-D

More meat, glossier look (did you go back to cooker after saucing - if so, sauce again lightly or don't set the sauce), parsley is not really even, i see "bumps" on the meat which I assume is rub. Maybe grind it a bit?

I agree with Jeff. More color, and more gloss would be good. The bumps on the skin are a turn-off for me. Chicken size/shape looks fine to me.

Back