Letting The Brisket Rest After The Cook, Ideal Temperature

This is the thread that finally got me to look into getting some sort of "turkey roaster" or low temp controlled oven.

I was originally looking to get the Anova Combi Oven (note - I still might get that at some point).

Then I started looking at used Alto Shams. I found some in the $750 range, but are 240v so I'd need an electrician to get it to work.

Finally I found an outdoor warming oven for a really good price. It can run from 120-200.

I'm excited to try it out after I pick it up.

Guess it's a law of diminishing returns. By order of importance there's meat quality on top, then the kind of smoker, then the fuel, then wrapping if / when / how, then probing tender but not too much, then the micromanagement stuff: beef tallow yes or no, venting yes or no, holding yes or no, and so on...

As far as ovens go, most Ikea ones we get in Europe go as low as 50c / 120f. Using a Thermoworks Smoke I measured its operating ranges (as in, when the resistance kicks in and turns off):

50c / 120f | 100f (on) 120f (off) 150f (residual heat from the resistance)
107c / 225f | 200f (on) 225f (off) 260f (residual)
120c / 250f | 235f (on) 250f (off) 275f (residual)

If I have to finish something in the oven (ie: a wrapped brisket) I'll set it a notch over 250f and it'll hold 240-280 nicely, which is pretty darn good when the meat is wrapped. Although 120f is lower than the food-safe threshold, the residual heat from the cooking process keeps the brisket above 140f for 12 to 13 hours. And I'm talking Euro-sized briskets, 10lb untrimmed. I reckon it could hold 140f for 18 hours on larger US-sized packers.

The last 4 Briskets I've done, 2 on the Drum and 2 on the PG were pulled when probe tender and went straight to the cooler to hold. They have all been $$$$$, when pulling them out of the cooler to cut they are limp and jiggly. Cutting the flat they've been nice moist and tender, not breaking apart. YMMV.

One from the PG

aI9QAn6.jpg

One from the Drum, Hot and Fast

g0Qe7w0.jpg

Looks Great!

It depends. Brisket is a big hunk of meat and takes a long time to heat up and a long time to cool down. It will take a lot more than 15 minutes for an unwrapped brisket on the counter to drop to 160 degrees. And, as anybody who has cooked a brisket via sous vide knows, it will keep right on cooking even below 160 - just a whole lot slower.
So, if you have smoked a perfect brisket and you just vent it for 15 minutes and put it in a cooler for an extended rest it will end up overcooked. In reality, though many will benefit from an additional long slow cook in a cambro/cooler.

It depends. Brisket is a big hunk of meat and takes a long time to heat up and a long time to cool down. It will take a lot more than 15 minutes for an unwrapped brisket on the counter to drop to 160 degrees. And, as anybody who has cooked a brisket via sous vide knows, it will keep right on cooking even below 160 - just a whole lot slower.
So, if you have smoked a perfect brisket and you just vent it for 15 minutes and put it in a cooler for an extended rest it will end up overcooked. In reality, though many will benefit from an additional long slow cook in a cambro/cooler.

Can you tell me how you make your brisket?

Thank you.

Back