Lets talk wood...

I find the threads on wood selection to be interesting. I think the flavor profile you get from different kinds of wood depends a lot on where you live. The hickory I can find here in central Florida is quite mild. I love the smell of it - but it does not impart a strong flavor to the meat. I burn it because I like the smell - but I rely on oak for flavor.

I am not even sure what variety of oak or hickory I have... I guess I need to remember to ask my firewood guy.

I've burned Florida maple and orange wood in the past - both are too mild for my taste.

For me it's.
Beef - Oak and Hickory mix
Pork - Oak or Charcoal base with Apple added
Chicken - Oak or Charcoal base with Pecan added (doesn't take much pecan to get a great flavor)

Cool thread. So far, I've experimented mostly with combinations of cherry, hickory, pecan and apple chunks from hardware stores but I've read a bunch good reviews of peach and also want to try post oak, likely in the form of some mini splits from Fruita Wood.

my brother in law hooked me up with some cherry wood and I must say I do like the flavor..used it on a whole ham Easter Sunday and it was great

I almost always use hickory and then mix other woods depending on what I'm cooking. Chicken and turkey will get cherry and/or apple, pork will get apple, or maple, beef will get mesquite....but be real easy with mesquite cause it's strong.

I do hickory on everything. I like the smell, I like the taste. Usually toss 5-6 chunks in for a cook on the WSM. I'll toss one chunk on the coals when I'm grilling.

Today, I sliced up a limb of red oak.
I found this along the road.
I took the only piece I could manage 130+ lbs .

I HAVE NO PICS BECAUSE I THOUGHT EVERYONE
KNEW what chopped up wood looks like.
I Sliced the bark off my oak. (Dick Prenneke style).
edit:
chainsawed rounds to 5"
Slice off bark.
Hand chop my raw oak into chunks.
I am putting some in full sun.

I find the threads on wood selection to be interesting. I think the flavor profile you get from different kinds of wood depends a lot on where you live. The hickory I can find here in central Florida is quite mild. I love the smell of it - but it does not impart a strong flavor to the meat. I burn it because I like the smell - but I rely on oak for flavor.

I am not even sure what variety of oak or hickory I have... I guess I need to remember to ask my firewood guy.

I've burned Florida maple and orange wood in the past - both are too mild for my taste.

Who is your wood guy? Mines out of almost everything..

Id agree on the "where the wood came from" idea.. Our cherry trees in FL dont fruit so perhaps are not the best in oil production hence too bland..

I get my wood from a guy that is a tree guy and when he gets a pecan/hickory/cherry tree its gone in a day.

Our oaks "water oak" is the best. Good moisture and pops often.. But not sure if that is remotely the same as others oaks.

Back