Let's play rate my boxes

Meat looks great, except those slice's look thick. To much green on those awesome ribs, maybe add a couple more would fix it.

If that's the case, aren't you judging the greens and not the meat? You said they are awesome looking ribs. Wouldn't that make them a 9, regardless of what the greens look like? Don't the contest reps stress this fact?

I like the Chicken- but pulled bird is a DQ in PNWBALand!
Nice color-is that the new Chicken rub? I gotta get some of that!

I'm all for more meat less pasture, but everything looks fantastic.

chicken 8 brisket a solid 9 ribs a solid 9 for the meat. on the ribs however I feel that if the ribs were "sitting Higher" and not looking like they were being swallowed by the greenery it wuold have even more eye popping appeal.

Chicken...not a lot of meat means small portions to get 6 samples...looks like a lot of sauce could be hiding overcooked so I'd score it a 7 = above average

Ribs...Good color perfect glaze and even slices get you an 8 = very good...not a lot of WOW to make the 9 but a solid 8

Brisket...the brown dots/smudges/injection marks on that first slice are killing the appeal factor (for me)...also the the exposed meat on all slices have spotty dry and wet spots that are an indicator of overcooked...I'd score a 7 =above average

Sorry Neal but you asked

Chicken...not a lot of meat means small portions to get 6 samples...looks like a lot of sauce could be hiding overcooked so I'd score it a 7 = above average

Ribs...Good color perfect glaze and even slices get you an 8 = very good...not a lot of WOW to make the 9 but a solid 8

Brisket...the brown dots/smudges/injection marks on that first slice are killing the appeal factor (for me)...also the the exposed meat on all slices have spotty dry and wet spots that are an indicator of overcooked...I'd score a 7 =above average

Sorry Neal but you asked

Never apologize for your opinion, especially if I ask for it.

Chicken - Isn't overcooked or undercooked a function of texture, not appearance? If it isn't bleeding or burnt, how can you assume it's overcooked or that I was hiding something? You should be judging on what is presented, not what you think it might be.

Ribs - If they have good color, perfect glaze and even cuts, what else do you need for WOW factor? What's missing?

Brisket - I had just sprayed with apple juice before taking that pic. We were in a very dry area. The black dot is a spec of black pepper. Again, how do you know this overcooked? Because some parts look juicier than others? Nothing is even in meat. It's organic material.

This is the reason I post my boxes. To challenge the judges out there and see what their thought processes are. You are supposed to judge on what is presented, ignore greens and smoke rings and not compare to something you have seen or tasted before.

I loved that you tried something different with the Chicken box
Are the Brisket slices thick or is it just the picture?

Fair question.....and don't worry..haven't judged in 4-5 years.

You're only judging appearance here. Shiny looks juicier(IMHO)

Can only tell for sure by tasting

Just doesn't "pop" to the eye as much

BTW...I don't think shine and sweet go hand in hand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

C - 7
R - 7
B - 7

Looking at the link to the results of this contest, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127958, you know where you got hammered on the scores, T&T. Did you receive any comment cards from the judges? You also might want to submit your pictures to bbqcritic.com and receive anonymous unbiased feedback from those judges...although you don't get to interact with them and question their reasoning.

Neil....you know I love you......

Chicken--6
My first impression is not bbq, but Chinese....teriyaki chicken....where's the noodles?

Ribs--8
I'm not a fan of 6 straight across, I like the angle better, consider 4 on 4 if you like the straight look, makes the box fuller.

Brisket--7
The thickness of the slices, first impression, leads me to believe it is over done and to get the slices to hold together they had to be cut that thick.

But what do I know....

If that's the case, aren't you judging the greens and not the meat? You said they are awesome looking ribs. Wouldn't that make them a 9, regardless of what the greens look like? Don't the contest reps stress this fact?

Aren't you assuming a perfect world where all judges are well trained and understand these finer points?

I think you need to assume many judges don't get this idea to judge things as the cook intended. More meat and more shine, you need to build boxes that impress both good judges and lousy ones.

What was the makeup of the judges at the comp? 100% certified? I think some comps are advertised as 100% but sometimes that doesn't happen. I have sat with some guys who are in culinary school and talk about very critical! One guy had done well over 80 KCBS comps and his scores, (talking to him afterward of course) were surprising low. The table captain kept asking him to fill out comment cards. He had a stack. Maybe continued KCBS judge training will be a good thing.

Also, a lot of newbies are coming out and, (I haven't checked), but I'll bet the chicken was scored low because no one had ever been presented with pulled chicken thigh. It seems as if whole trimmed thighs is "the only way" to go.

I thought the chicken looked good. Never saw it presented that way. Did look small in the box, but a solid 7. It looked good... above average.

I love that the ribs are glossed nicely, even color throughout and even in size. Those ribs were a very solid 8 to me in appearance. I do like to look or see the cuts and how that meat looks in that exposed cut. I really wanted to try one of those! They looked very good. Maybe a 9 but I am one who likes to see the whole rib, cuts and all so an 8 from me.

I felt that the 1/4 inch or so cut of brisket was perfect. I like a thicker cut. Again, even color/crust/rub on top and looks moist. Color of face looked even... They looked very good, an 8.

Now I have to check and see what you did get... did you post them?

John

Aren't you assuming a perfect world where all judges are well trained and understand these finer points?

I think you need to assume many judges don't get this idea to judge things as the cook intended. More meat and more shine, you need to build boxes that impress both good judges and lousy ones.

Sadly, you're 100% spot-on Chris!!!

Neil....you know I love you......

Chicken--6
My first impression is not bbq, but Chinese....teriyaki chicken....where's the noodles?

Ribs--8
I'm not a fan of 6 straight across, I like the angle better, consider 4 on 4 if you like the straight look, makes the box fuller.

Brisket--7
The thickness of the slices, first impression, leads me to believe it is over done and to get the slices to hold together they had to be cut that thick.

But what do I know....

Never question the love and I asked for opinions. I prefer honesty.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat

I agree that this definitely isn't a perfect world. But it's my nature to challenge the status quo rather than acquiesce. Somebody has to try get judges open their eyes a little more.

You guys use flavors and techniques that aren't traditional and so do I. (Of course you are much better at it than I am.) But judges need hear over and over again to judge what is presented, not what they think it SHOULD be. I think it is up to us to remind them of that.

I guess you could say I tend to take one for the team.

I agree that this definitely isn't a perfect world. But it's my nature to challenge the status quo rather than acquiesce. Somebody has to try get judges open their eyes a little more.

You guys use flavors and techniques that aren't traditional and so do I. (Of course you are much better at it than I am.) But judges need hear over and over again to judge what is presented, not what they think it SHOULD be. I think it is up to us to remind them of that.

I guess you could say I tend to take one for the team.

I have often tried outside the box boxes ;-)

Almost always get killed when I do. :)

I've adopted the motto that I am better at feeding 600 people than I am at feeding 6 people.

Back