let the smoker debate begin

I understand that it's the cook not the cooker that makes good ques. That being said it have thought of more questions than answers.

What I like about the SF is there is more cooking area. The warming oven serve as a feasible way to hold meat if it's done early and to let it rest, along with the fact it can cook sides as well.

What I like about the lsg is the set it and forget it way of cooking. I can focus on finishing sauces, turn in box prep ect. I can also get some much needed sleep a well.

That being said, about how mch wood would I expect to store before purchasing a SF? Thinking 4-6 splits toget it up to temp and 1 split every 30-50 min. Approximately what is the going rate of wood per cord? Half cord? Can I run greener wood at a higher temp with the thought of the meat won't be taking on as much smoke as it will cook faster?

I also like the taste my pbc produces with the charcoal and wood splits. The times I've tasted wood off a stick burner I didn't care for it. But then again the cook themselves wood rather drink than pay attention to meat.

Thank you all for the comments and keep me coming as I'm truly undecided about hitch way I want to go

the main purpose of this cooker would be to compete and WIN and to simply please the people we cook for

If you primary purpose is competitions, think about how you will transport the smoker and what resources you will have at both ends to load and unload. Also think about how much time it will take to use the smoker at a competition (feeding the fire, etc.). The answers to those should make your choice pretty clear.

How come no one makes a totally insulated vertical stick burner? That would be awesome and best of both worlds!

i have a Shirley and an insulated cabinet. both will do what you want but i give the flavor edge to the offset. that being said if you are not cooking hot and fast you will be putting in a lot more effort with the offset. i would think the cabinet would allow you to have more time to focus on everything else vs the fire/temp management while at a comp. now if you need to cook at 2 different temps the cabinet will not do this unless you wait until you pull the big meats and then turn up the heat.

just my .02.

How come no one makes a totally insulated vertical stick burner? That would be awesome and best of both worlds!

because it would be very hard to control the temps. With an insulated charcoal unit, you can choke back the air supply to reduce heat output. With the stick burner you will get nasty smoke.

my guess is it would be expensive. wonder what size sticks you would have to burn to have enough oxygen to keep the fire going and keep the temps down?

Thank you for the replys. I forgot about hot and cool spots that I would get with the sf that I wouldn't get with the cabinet. I wish there was a way to get both haha then I wouldn't have to make such a tough decision

Have you given any consideration to the Pitmaker BBQ Vault? Fully Insulated Reverse Flow Cabinet smoker that runs on sticks or charcoal. Small Footprint and great capacity. Extremely efficient and it has a stainless steel water pan welded in place.

If you're looking for a "stick burner" the Sniper series smokers are great as well.

I have owned both an LSG stick burner and the LSG large cabinet. They are both great pieces of craftsmanship. I just found I didn't like stick burning, took too of my much time, so I went back to my WSM instead of using it. Sold it and got the cabinet and I am in love. I have cooked all of the major meats on it, and anywhere from 225* to 350*, and everything turned out great.

You just need to think about what you want. Playing with fire on a stick burner or sitting back and relaxing while your cabinet hums along.

I feel before we even start this debate we need to establish definitions. PBC who the hell is she? LSG is that something you smoke or smoke with? You would go with Shirley. That is nice but I thought we were talking smokers. Not girls. I guess in today's world it does not even mean at girl. Can not even tell by which bathroom they go into. WSM water smoker magic? Sorry but this has been building for a while. It would be nice if we had an acronym chart or posters stop using them. I'm done proceed.

Back