Leftovers for People's Choice and Shigging

Rhythm 'n Que are our teams heroes out here. I'll admit I had my dad pull a shig ninja and go grab a pc rib from them at our fourth contest. We personally thought our ribs were great but they scored really poorly with the judges. It was driving us mad and we just wanted to see what made their ribs win all the time. That rib changed our BBQ world view completely and it's what's driven us to always try and improve no matter how well our turn ins are scoring or how good we may think our food is. We were ignorant of the unknown. I'm glad they have become such great friends over the past two years and that they take that one experience as a compliment.

As far as lying, fibbing, whatever to other teams we do it to teams that have been around for a while but we'll normally be fairly straightforward with new teams. New teams need all the help they can get. Older teams on the other hand should know that we don't spritz our box with water and liquid smoke or that a touch of grape soda isn't really that awesome for thinning out your rib sauce.

Rhythm 'n Que are our teams heroes out here. I'll admit I had my dad pull a shig ninja and go grab a pc rib from them at our fourth contest. We personally thought our ribs were great but they scored really poorly with the judges. It was driving us mad and we just wanted to see what made their ribs win all the time. That rib changed our BBQ world view completely and it's what's driven us to always try and improve no matter how well our turn ins are scoring or how good we may think our food is. We were ignorant of the unknown. I'm glad they have become such great friends over the past two years and that they take that one experience as a compliment.

As far as lying, fibbing, whatever to other teams we do it to teams that have been around for a while but we'll normally be fairly straightforward with new teams. New teams need all the help they can get. Older teams on the other hand should know that we don't spritz our box with water and liquid smoke or that a touch of grape soda isn't really that awesome for thinning out your rib sauce.
Scott kinda the same with our chicken..it had been killing us for more than a year..so at a new years comp(I think)RnQ was our neighbor across the street I told the boys"man if we could just taste their chicken we could get some kind of target"..so I walk over and tell Vince"hey man can I taste your chicken today?"..he looks at me with a big smile and in the nicest possible way says"now Matt why the hell would I do that"..I laughed and walked away..fast forward to Mesquite this past year..again they were our neighbors and I gave them one of our pieces of chicken to try..after turn in Vince called me over,opened the cambro and handed me a piece of theirs..it was like we finally had arrived IMO..took a bite and it was very similar to ours..but low and behold we both tanked chicken that day but still finished RGC for them and 4th for us..anyway that's my little story and I still feel lucky to have tasted their food.

Feed the people brother.

1588qk4.jpg

If you could really shig by tasting food, then judges would be winning all the contests. :mrgreen:

Like what was mentioned before, what is handed out as PC is not what went in the judging box, so no need to worry about that much.

A couple contests ago the head cook from one of the top teams out here popped his head in our tent after turning in chicken. I was putting our chicken away and he said it looked good...so I offered him a piece. I have struggled with chicken so I was eager for some feedback from a top team. He said he thought it was really good. A few minutes later he came back to our tent with a piece of his chicken for us to taste. It was much different, but I liked it a lot. Ironically, come awards time we tied for points in chicken with us winning the tie-breaker...we finished 2nd and they finished 3rd. So I guess we each learned what 2nd place chicken tasted like, for that one contest anyway! Next contest I cooked the exact same chicken and placed 15th, so who knows!

Back