Leftovers Department: What to do with Salmon?

An appetizer? Gotta be honest, I am still laughing!!! Good one!

If I cannot cook one of my own, I'll use a ... (if I can get it) Barilla. I can augment them easily(they have 3 or 4 different variations that often save the day), to good result.

Love to hear more about the candy you make.

Squaw candy is one of the varieties of smoked salmon that I make when I visit my family in Alaska.

I generally use smaller fish - as the thinner fillets seem to dry better and end up with a sweeter flavor. If it is one of those years where all the fish seem to be large (hahahahahaha - man, I'm funny) then I will use the boneless part of the fillet beyond the rib cage.

We use the traditional brine of sugar, brown sugar, and salt - but the liquid is pineapple juice rather than water. The finished product is a nice deep red.

Then there is my personal favorite - my Apple Jack smoked salmon. That features Apple Juice, Jack Daniels and a bit of Worcestershire Sauce as the liquid in the brine and some of the white sugar is replaced with honey as a sweetener.

On a good trip - it is hard to get my cooler down to the TSA manditated 50 lbs. I am hoping for at least ONE good trip this summer.........

Please explain this leftover salmon? :noidea:

I was wondering about that....1.5 # salmon between 4 people, wouldn't be leftovers at the Rebel household...

Dave

Please explain this leftover salmon? :noidea:​

I was wondering about that....1.5 # salmon between 4 people, wouldn't be leftovers at the Rebel household...

Dave

Exactly what I was thinking... with 1.5 lbs the rest of the fam would be wondering what they were going to eat... I'm 6' 170lbs and I can easily kill a large fillet by myself just snacking on pieces off the grill... hell that would never make it to the table! :laugh:

seriously good lookin 'sagne ya got there, I bet it was great!

Squaw candy is one of the varieties of smoked salmon that I make when I visit my family in Alaska.

I generally use smaller fish - as the thinner fillets seem to dry better and end up with a sweeter flavor. If it is one of those years where all the fish seem to be large (hahahahahaha - man, I'm funny) then I will use the boneless part of the fillet beyond the rib cage.

We use the traditional brine of sugar, brown sugar, and salt - but the liquid is pineapple juice rather than water. The finished product is a nice deep red.

Then there is my personal favorite - my Apple Jack smoked salmon. That features Apple Juice, Jack Daniels and a bit of Worcestershire Sauce as the liquid in the brine and some of the white sugar is replaced with honey as a sweetener.

On a good trip - it is hard to get my cooler down to the TSA manditated 50 lbs. I am hoping for at least ONE good trip this summer.........

Ours is easy to catch... an no limit...you get as many as you want by waving some green paper with writing on it.

Wife says the red sounds interesting. Thank You!

Exactly what I was thinking... with 1.5 lbs the rest of the fam would be wondering what they were going to eat... I'm 6' 170lbs and I can easily kill a large fillet by myself just snacking on pieces off the grill... hell that would never make it to the table! :laugh:

seriously good lookin 'sagne ya got there, I bet it was great!

I can relate... killed the whole pastrami I made a week or so ago, in like, one day & a few hours. If salmon was beef, 1.5 lbs is a breakfast steak to me.

Back