Left steaks out 2 days at 90*; covered in mold; cooked and ate them; didn't die

I tried “dry aging” a tomahawk ribeye with koji. It didn’t seem to do a lot flavor wise, although it did seem to tenderize it pretty well. What I did notice is that the outside changed color quite a bit when searing, almost like caramelized. I’ve found dry aged steaks to do the same.

Man. You are more brave then me. I don't even trust 120F 24 hour sous vide steak. Some people swear by it, but i draw the line at 132F. I will do 120F only when its a steak right out of the fridge, and put on a hot grill for 90 seconds per side.

I wonder how it would be if you cleaned off the rice and mold before cooking.

I had a “didn’t die” moment with a sous vide steak. Dropped it in boiling water for about a minute beforehand though, so probably not much risk. I wanted to try an extended cook at 113 degrees, so I started it before I went to work for a double shift. Power at the house flickered while I was at work, sous vide doesn’t turn back on if power goes off (didn’t realize at the time). So a $25 ribeye sat in a room temperature water bath for at least 12 hours. Seared it and ate it anyway, it was great.

I wonder how it would be if you cleaned off the rice and mold before cooking.

I had a “didn’t die” moment with a sous vide steak. Dropped it in boiling water for about a minute beforehand though, so probably not much risk. I wanted to try an extended cook at 113 degrees, so I started it before I went to work for a double shift. Power at the house flickered while I was at work, sous vide doesn’t turn back on if power goes off (didn’t realize at the time). So a $25 ribeye sat in a room temperature water bath for at least 12 hours. Seared it and ate it anyway, it was great.

Yikes, that's got to be some bad luck. I did some Short Ribs at 132F for 36 hours back in the early sous vide days. To this day i don't know why, but they came out smelling like baby poop. And ive changed enough diapers over the years to know what baby poop smells like.

Yikes, that's got to be some bad luck. I did some Short Ribs at 132F for 36 hours back in the early sous vide days. To this day i don't know why, but they came out smelling like baby poop. And ive changed enough diapers over the years to know what baby poop smells like.

That sounds awful. I think there are a few bacteria out there that still reproduce at 132F, but they’re not pathogenic. The only weird thing I ever get with sous vide is a strange, slightly sweet flavor in meat that’s cooked more than 24 hours. It’s not bad, but not my favorite. Probably some enzyme that gets activated.

Without brave adventurous men like yourself, none of us would be enjoying eggs with their breakfast.
Ed

Back