Left or Right hand brisket?

This comes up periodically. People as a general rule tend to sleep on their right side significantly more than their left. It has to do with their digestive system. If you're on your right side, gravity is working with you (it has to do with food leaving the stomach). If you're feeling indigestion at night, you might find relief by lying on your right side. Most people do this unconsciously. If you look at cows in a field, I am told that they also prefer one side to the other. So, there probably is a difference between left and right briskets. Does it make a difference? Well, probably not if I'm cooking it. :icon_blush:

I have heard stories of a few big name pit masters that would carefully select the meat from a certain side of an animal. One of them, the farm he purchased the pigs from had a hill on it that the animals had to walk each day. Since it was sloped, one side of the animal got more of a work out and would be tougher, so he would only choose meat from the opposite side. I think it's mor superstition than anything tho.

I work in a commercial cattle feedlot with a capacity of 35,000 head, and it is about 50/50 on cattle laying on the right side or left side. But I don't know if the cattle that lay on their left side ALWAYS lay on the left side or switch back and forth. I need to get a goverment grant to perform an in depth study of this so I can report accurately, I would think 2.5 million dollars should do it. :crazy:

I used to have a cow that had no left legs. We called it Lean Beef.

I always go for the left side briskeys because they ARE tougher and I don't like anything that's wimpy.

Back OT. I found this on a Weber website:

Flexibility & Left-Handed Briskets

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Some people believe that the flexibility of a brisket is an indication of its tenderness. Frankly, I don't know how to evaluate this when a brisket is still in Cryovac. I don't know about you, but my butcher won't let me unwrap meat and handle it before purchase. So I don't know what to make of this claim.

A more colorful claim is that the brisket from the left side of the animal is more tender than that from the right side. I don't know if this is true, but it does make for a great story, especially after a few beers.
[/FONT]

I have found that most briskets in cryovacs have enough room in the bag, that if you grab one end it will bend, I always buy the bendiest ones. As to butchers, if I am buying from a meat counter, I just keep asking about the one below, then I watch as the guy lifts them, hoping to get the bendiest one.

Back OT. I found this on a Weber website:

Flexibility & Left-Handed Briskets

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Some people believe that the flexibility of a breast is an indication of its tenderness. Frankly, I don't know how to evaluate this when a breast is still packaged. I don't know about you, but my friend won't let me unwrap the breast and handle it before purchase. So I don't know what to make of this claim.

A more colorful claim is that the breast from the left side of the woman is more tender than that from the right side. I don't know if this is true, but it does make for a great story, especially after a few beers.
[/FONT]

Just for fun I made some changes above to show yawl this is a myth :twisted:

Off to the Penalty Box :laugh:

Smoke Them All....I would have to see the Cow getting Slaughtered and Butchered to determine what side the Brisket was on!!! Peppa!!!

Using left handed briskets is sort of like only wearing a certain shirt when your favorite sports team is playing.:becky: Or maybe shots at a competition?

Nobody has mentioned the coriolis effect and the fact that cattle graze into the sun, and away from the rain. It might make a difference, but I'm not sensitive (or anal) enough to suggest I can tell them apart on the plate. :)

Back