Last Saturday's Cook - With PrON!

W

WVFD710

I decided to take advantage of a rare Saturday off work, and woke up early to fire up my new UDS! I tried MojoCubes "Cherry" for the first time on this cook. That part went alright, but I do like a bit stronger smoke flavor and I usually use oak. I cooked a naked fatty for breakfast, followed by two whole chickens (spatchcocked), which was a first for me because I have been cooking thighs alone lately. I also decided to try cooking a pork shoulder for the first time. We had some friends over to eat and everybody enjoyed the food real well! Anyway, onto some pictures.

First is a shot of my shoulder. I injected it with a simple brine/marinade I found on this forum (didn't book mark it, damn!) This pic is about an hour or so before going into the UDS, right after rubbing it.

Next is a shot of the shoulder and fatty, about 1 hour into the shoulder's cook time...fatty is about ready to come off!

Here was my view of the sunrise!

Here is a shot of the fatty right after slicing. I rubbed it with Smokin' Guns "Hot" dry rub. We used a 1lb "Sage" sausage roll by Jimmy Dean.

Here's breakfast assembled. Flaky biscuits, smoked sausage, buttered, and a slice of cheddar. If McDonald's ever made something this good, they would truly rule the world!

Here are my chickens...I screwed up and cut the breast of the bird on the right (newbie mistake I guess) on my haste to get them started.

Here are the birds with Plowboys "Yardbird" rubbed on them. I brined them for about 3 hours Saturday morning.

Here is a sneak peak of the birds as they went into the smoke!

Birds coming off the UDS! SEXY!

After the birds came off, I moved grate with the pork to the top of the UDS in hopes of getting a bit higher cooking temp. It worked! I was happy with the bark on my first shoulder.

And here's the pulled pork. I let her rest in blankets/towels for about 2 hours after hitting 195-200º probe temps throughout the shoulder. I very lightly sauced it with Plowboy's "Sweet 180" BBQ sauce in hopes of my kids enjoying it. My 17 month old daughter absolutely LOVES this goodness. She shovels it into her mouth. My son, 5 years old, was not as enthusiastic about it :/

All together it went very well! We're already out of pork, so next time I will definitely cook 2 or maybe 4 shoulders so we can store them after cooking and enjoy left-overs a bit longer!

2012-08-18%2007.18.07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
links dont work. I would make a photo bucket account and link to the IMG files. Dropbox does not work well for sharing images in forums

I can get the pics to work, but too lazy to click each one and wait for them to load. haha
A photobucket account is highly recommended.

Alright, I got them on my Photobucket so this would work easier. Let me know if they have any problems now!

There we go, now the pics are working!
Nice job dude. In that first pic, I see you had placed the meat on the hood of your car, but then I see that the pan was cold. I was thinking it was right off the grill. ha ha ha

There we go, now the pics are working!
Nice job dude. In that first pic, I see you had placed the meat on the hood of your car, but then I see that the pan was cold. I was thinking it was right off the grill. ha ha ha

Some days in West Texas it feels like we could cook on the hood of the car! I do hold the hot Q in pans and such on the hood after taking them out of the smoker occasionally. It's a '98 Contour....some good BBQ on the hood could actually RAISE the value of the car :)

Great Cook all the way around! Are you sure your a newbie? ;D

I've been watching my dad cook for years...and cooking on my own for 8-10 years, but not consistently. This being my first cook on my UDS, first time cooking a pork shoulder, first time cooking whole chickens, etc I for sure felt like a newbie!! :)

Back