Last Day at Bigmista's BBQ and Sammich Shop

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Wow! Gonna miss this spot, but glad I was able to go in the first place. It's a pretty good distance from my house, but once in a while I'd happen to be down that way, or I'd make the run. I'm still not sure how anybody cooks all that food every day and always have it be great.

By the time I arrived - 2 hrs. after opening - they were sold out! :doh: I did hang around, got to shoot the chit with Neil for a bit, and went home with some chicken and that amazing mac n cheese. I'll tell you what - some of the people who rolled up only to find out that the food was all gone looked like they were about to cry.

It's enough of a bummer that Bigmista's BBQ won't be available anymore - I've been getting it from Farmer's markets, pop-ups, and both restaurants for years now - but what I'm really gonna miss is having Neil around 'cause they'll be moving up to Oregon. I don't know if Neil realizes what a central and inspirational figure he is to us farkers in SoCal. I am not kidding - when we start planning our Bashes, one of the big questions is always "is Neil gonna be there?". It's always a little more Bashy when he's around and I know I'm not the only one who has learned a lot from Neil.

Many of us SoCal farkers have also had excellent times cooking with Neil for charity events. With the great food, the wonderful company, the fun atmosphere - we'll take you back anytime & you always got somewhere to stay in Culver City. :cool:

Speaking of SoCal farkers - we gotta put something together before we lose this brother. He's the reason a lot of us are on this site, myself included. Not sure what/when the moving plans are for the Mista family, but just to throw it out there, I'm gonna have the house to myself on Saturday August 4...just sayin'...

My picture taking has been pretty lame lately, but I did manage to get one pic...

picture.php

I certainly wish the Mista’s good fortune, but my thoughts are that it must suck puffy green chit for you in locale of the cuisine and personality of the Dude. He IS the reason I’m here. Caught a utube of Neal smoking a butt, on a balcony in LA, before church, mentioned the brethren. My smoking life changed that day. Thanky Neal.

Going to miss him!

A last GTG before he moves sounds like a great idea!

(P.S. Where in Oregon is he moving to? Is he going to set up shop there? - I get up that way every now and then - might be one more reason :mrgreen:)

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I'm in Greg, only been to his place once too far, for regular visits, but I wish I had been there more!

• Thanks
Hopefully Bigmista will have more time to make BBQ videos.

• Thanks
I've gone through pages and pages of the catering section on this site reading about when Bigmista first started with his first gigs, then moving onto farmers markets. It was awesome to see how fast his business started growing and the passion he has for BBQ. He is a staple here at the BBQ Brethren and I wish him the best.

Sad and we're going to miss him. We as in SoCal besides the brethren. Best of luck on the new endeavors Neil.

• Thanks
I'm here because of Neil as well. He was smoking meat at the farmers market right down the street from my house. It was a big deal here where I live and everyone in the neighborhood was talking about Bigmistas Meat. I started a conversation with him about what smoker would be good to start with. He told me all about the BBQ Brethren and said to google UDS. I've had some great times at bashes and charity with Neil and the Brethren here in So Cal.

Neil, you will be missed here.

Glad you got out to see Neil today, Greg. He's been such an impactful member of this forum, and a fine human being as well. Let's talk about an Aug 4th send off!

^^^always got room for ya! Probably should make sure Neils is gonna be around that day though! We'll see if that's a good time & get something going for sure whenever it is.

A huge BIG UP to Neil and family as their adventure continues in OR.

• Thanks
Really going to miss him. I never made it out to his restaurants, but have enjoyed his company and food at bashes and charity events over the years. I'm another member who can list him as the reason for being on the Brethren. An article in the LA times years back made me check out the Brethren, and it definitely upped my game. Greg, if you can put something together, I'll be there.

I'm in for a BigMista send off! I remember when I first met him, dude holds no punches. Immediately gave me chit for lighting the charcoal with a torch, in a chimney :lol: Just like a brethren would do. Wish I had talked to him a bit more to learn as much as I could. Best of luck to ya Neil!

• Thanks
Sorry you missed out. I hope he at least let you lick off the countertops. Best wishes, Bigmista and hope to see you soon, Greg!

• Thanks
Greg, have already scheduled time off from work so when sure text me and I'll finalize airfare.

• Thanks
Back