Larger vs smaller slabs of ribs

Smoke Dad

Knows what a fatty is.
When I started cooking ribs I would always look for the biggest slabs I could find. Then one day a I grabbed a smaller pack because I could get 3 in a pack instead of 2 and I had more people to feed. I heard once that the smaller ribs are better anyway. Restaurant Depot sells 4.2 and down and 4.3 and up. Do you guys feel like there is a difference in the out come of the meat? Do you always go for one or the other? Or do you just buy based on budget and belly’s to feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cook what works for you - I find thicker spares (we are talking spares right?) absorb color better.

Even tho I am talking about spare ribs, I guess the same concept applies to Baby backs. They all work if you cook em good, but some folks think the smaller ribs may be more tender. I could see that being true, kind of like with poultry. Turkey is much tougher and denser than chicken, while Cornish hen is the most tender of all 3 birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you cooking the entire slab, or cutting it down St. Louis style? When I have to buy a whole slab I try to feel for longer bones to minimize the loss. The tips are OK for snacks and bean meat but I’m buying them for the bones.

Back