Lang 48 & DigiQ/CyberQ

Coletrickle4

Found some matches.
Top of the afternoon folks!

Have had a Lang 48 for 5-6 years now and was interested in possibly hooking up a digiQ or cyberQ but havent been able to find much in the way of feedback from anyone who has done that recently (the google search yields stuff from back in 2010-2013).

Was wondering if anyone on here had hooked up a digiQ or cyberq to a Lang smoker and if so, were the results worth it? Specifically:

1) Does the device reduce the number of trips to add wood? This is my primary reason for getting the device - i love the stick burner, but would also like to be able to extend the refill time past 45 minutes to allow for more flexibility.

2) If so, can you load up the firebox and get 2-3 hours burn time on one fill with the device? (seemed highly unlikely, but thats why im asking!)

3) It makes sense the device could easily raise the temperature, but how effective is it at reducing the temp if it gets to hot?

Thanks in advance for any insights on your experience with a bbq guru device on a lang - happy smoking!

andy

I don't see how this would work. Let's say your fire gets too hot, the fan would stop shutting off the oxygen supply and killing ALL the flames. When it's cooled enough, the fan comes back on, which will not be able to start the flames again. This works with Charcoal, because it does not require a flame.

I want to state that I have never tried it, and would love to see if my theory is right. Please let us know if you try this. I've only used a fan control on my WSM, but not the Lang. I use the WSM for my lazy long cooks, and a Stick burner if I have time for fun and want to watch a fire all night long. I have to admit that after buying the Lang, I have not used my WSM / fan controlled much.

I agree with pga7602. I think the problem is if you put more wood in the fire box it's going to burn and cause the temps to shot up. And if the air flow is restricted you get bad smoke.You maybe able to work it out and I wise you luck.But anyway keep us up dated on your finding.

I have often wondered this too, primarliy for the last few hours of a brisket cook, after I've wrapped and won't get anymore smoke anyway. I wanted to load up charcoal at that time and just set it and forget it. It's really only an issue when I cook more than one brisket. In which case I can just transfer to the oven if I want to stop running to the firebox every half hour. But it would be nice for the larger cooks when I'm catering a larger group. Will be very interested to hear what others say. But I think you are going to get a lot of "get a cabinet smoker" comments.

Lang 48

I have Lang 48 and have contemplated doing exactly what you intend to do. I Googled the mod and it seems several folks have added a welded nipple and attached a small blower. Heck give it a try! By the way, my cooker is for sale now if you need a spare 48!

Back