Lamb in the oven (Pic heavy)

Looks great. I'm curious as to what type of pine you use.The pine we have here is not worth a dang for cooking.

Funny that you would ask that since the pine I used is from Home Depot. :shocked: I got it from the crate I shipped my stuff in from the US. But I agree pine is not ideal for cooking. It does not take long to burn to embers and does not give out a lot of heat for its volume. But it is cheap and the easiest wood to find, at least here. Olive wood and acacia wood are the easiest to find, from the hard woods, over here.

i just bit my screen! when you say oven you ain't messing around! that food looks great. i would love to put one of those in my yard. if you pop it right onto the coals, don't it burn during those long times though. what's next?

When you cook directly on the embers the food is wrapped in wax paper that provides protection from the hot embers until they die down from the lack of oxygen when you seal the oven. You don't have to build one in your back yard if you can't you can dig a hole and put some volcano rocks in it. Actually the original way of cooking meat like this called for a hole in the ground and not a brick oven (much like the way they cook in Hawaii) as it was used by thieves that wanted to avoid detection and that could not have a permanent structure.

wow. great pics and explanations! (this is a traditional oven in cyprus?
Yes. This is a traditional oven in Cyprus. Well as traditional as you can get in the middle of a city :-D

Ding Ding Ding Ding...

Call to order... Congratulations ANTOANT. You are the 5th Brethren to recieve the Prestigious ALF Tick of Approval.

To see Lamb cooked in such a traditional Cypriot manner brings a tear to my eye. I'm hoping you can grace us with many more recipes and photo's.

This slow cook Lamb is truly inspiring! Well Done!

Cheers!

Bill

Thank you Bill. I am honored.

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I think that trying a cook in that oven will forever break me of the habit of opening the pit to peek!

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I think that trying a cook in that oven will forever break me of the habit of opening the pit to peek!

:laugh: You might be right. One thing is for sure. This is one of the best set it and forget it ways to cook.:p

looks fantastic I'd very much love having an oven like that. this reminds me of Lamb henge that we did memorial day meat fest. First there was stonehenge, then wood henge now..... Lam henge.
CIMG1671.JPG

CIMG1719.JPG

CIMG1725.JPG

That oven is really interesting. One of the best things to me about being a member of the Brethren is learning how cooking is done all over the world. We have members from all over who are willing to share their techniques.:clap2: Hooray for our family of cooks.

If I hadn't stumbled upon the Brethren I would have a sort of oven/BBQ build by a good friend of mine:

337267471_6_YsN8.jpeg

If I hadn't stumbled upon the Brethren I would have a sort of oven/BBQ build by a good friend of mine

Nice looking oven Phubar. It looks Indonesian, is that right?

Very cool, thanks for posting:clap2:, how about the recipe you used for the saganaki.

Paulmark I will ask the lady of the house for that recipe. I am sure she will be happy to share.

Back