La Caja China - The Chinese Box

They're actually made in the united states and the la caja china means chinese roasting box, it's got nothing to do with China.

Thanks for pointing that out before I could:)
Do you remember the scene in Smokey and The Bandit where the cop tells Jackie Gleason (Buford T. Justice) about something not being "germane" to the situation. Jackie Gleason screams back "The god damned germans got nothun to do with it!!!".....
Classic line from a classic movie:laugh:

I have had the same model for over 2 years with no problems have used countless times and even loaned out to other to cook with. I also have the smoking pistol. The pistol works ok but this is not a smoker. So you should not look for a real smokey pig.

This is 60 pound pig that I cooked in about 5 1/2 hours.

Attachments

• 042_42.JPG
    042_42.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 299
  • P6280518.jpg
    P6280518.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN1145.JPG
    DSCN1145.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 298
For a real nice unit check www.cajunmicrowaves.com. My dad got one years ago and it's in great shape. Made from furniture grade cypress and stainless steel. Definitely more money tha the La Caja China. But ya get what ya pay for.:becky:

Made in Breaux Bridge LA, the crawfish capital of the world.

I kinda want to build one of these now... What sort of material is the fire box made out of? How do you prevent the wood from burning on the top?

Just the ECB ripoff of the Caja China. Brinkmann makes crap products that generally need tons of mods JUST TO WORK. I would love to see Home Depot and Lowe's start selling more, or at least displaying more, good cookers. All you can find at those stores are ECB's, char-griller offsets (again, tons of mods to make work), and an Egg knockoff called the Bayou something or other. The only decent thing they sell are Weber kettles. Ok, my rant is done, and it isn't directed at ANYONE on this site, just my rant against the big box stores. I'm done now, sorry for the hijack.:icon_blush:

I really, really wanna get one of these and they're really not very expensive, but they seem too specialized. I can't see myself roasting a whole hog more than twice a year.

Still, that's an amazing score you got there!

i watched a throwdown with one of these things. Bobby flay used it to only cook a few butts in it.

I have both a Smoke Pistol and a Smoke Daddy, I have had a lot of issues with the pistol, gumming up and shutting down in the middle of a tube. I got the Smoke daddy because it uses chip of whatever you want to put in it, I would think the Big Smoke daddy would be your ticket! Nice score....

i watched a throwdown with one of these things. Bobby flay used it to only cook a few butts in it.

Yeah, I've had the smaller (model 3) caja china for about a year. You can cook pretty much anything in them. I've done chicken, ribs, brisket, butts, picnics, and turkeys in mine.

Yeah, its not smoke, but its awful good. I did a Cuban Pulled Pork this weekend as a matter of fact. I was going to take pictures and post them, but I forgot to take pictures of the finished project until Monday morning. I don't figure anyone wants to see the left over scraps!

Fine meal though and alotta fun!

That Mojo sauce is rancid. I did a 50# hog in mine this weekend. 6 hours and it was absolutely PERFECT! It's insane how well these boxes cook. This Hog, I just used my regular shoulder injection....a lot of it too!

That Mojo sauce is rancid. I did a 50# hog in mine this weekend. 6 hours and it was absolutely PERFECT! It's insane how well these boxes cook. This Hog, I just used my regular shoulder injection....a lot of it too!

Yeah, you can even smell it even when the container is new and sealed. I used about 2 cups to inject a butt after straining it. There was at least a quarter cup of minced garlic that I strained out of two cups used to inject the butt.

La Caja China stuff

Hey all,

I do tons of roasting and bbq in my La Caja China. I've posted a bunch of LCC recipes, tips, and Q&A on my blog. Not sure what the link rules are, so I won't post it here, but it's in my profile.

I did a lot of experimenting with the various models while writing the first cookbook, and again with the second one that just released. I'm always happy to answer any questions!

Thanks,

-Perry

Perry P. Perkins
Author
La Caja China Cooking
La Caja China World

Back