jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I picked up a bottle of this stuff:

ovk2R2Cl.jpg

And these boneless short ribs:

lxDFQoxl.jpg

I plan to cook some Asian fare tomorrow when my parents come over. My son has been studying the Chinese language since middle school and is big into the Chinese New Year stuff so thought I'd play along.

Anyways, the question: I grabbed those short ribs from Costco, and I am marinating them now for a 24+ hour marinade. The bottle says grill them after marinating and to flip constantly so they don't burn, makes sense with all the sugars in that marinade. Will they be tender? We typically cook the heck out of short ribs to achieve that fork tender so I'm skeptical that these will be tender direct grilled.

Never cooked them before. Most of the pics I have seen have been of thin, flanken cut ribs. You may have to do a reverse sear. Good luck.

I'm a bit concerned. The Asian short ribs I've had have always been thin cut, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch, against the grain. This is a great way to tenderize a tough cut. I do love those Costco shortribs, but this is not the way I'd cook them. If you're going for that Korean New Year vibe, I would get a sharp knife and cut those into thinner strips before marinating. You can google (image) search "kalbi" to get an idea what you're going for with that sauce. It is very good, btw.

Great advice. I did "jaccard" them, but based on the feedback I'm going to cut them in half and then use the tenderizer on them to flatten them out to quarter inch thick or so.

However you do it, you'll want a bit of high heat (not like searing heat) to caramelize some of the marinade on the ribs.

I see deliciousness in your future.

I'm a bit concerned. The Asian short ribs I've had have always been thin cut, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch, against the grain. This is a great way to tenderize a tough cut. I do love those Costco shortribs, but this is not the way I'd cook them. If you're going for that Korean New Year vibe, I would get a sharp knife and cut those into thinner strips before marinating. You can google (image) search "kalbi" to get an idea what you're going for with that sauce. It is very good, btw.

Gore is absolutely correct - this is exactly as I do them, and how the meat is cooked at Korean BBQ spots. Grilled over high heat, they are quite tender and delicious!

Gore is absolutely correct - this is exactly as I do them, and how the meat is cooked at Korean BBQ spots. Grilled over high heat, they are quite tender and delicious!

"Gore" and "correct" do not usually belong in the same sentence, especially with the word "absolutely" thrown in. I'll have to tell my wife. I'm sure she'll point out something I said wrong.

"Gore" and "correct" do not usually belong in the same sentence, especially with the word "absolutely" thrown in. I'll have to tell my wife. I'm sure she'll point out something I said wrong.

Gosh, I wish I had known that!

But, it's still not too late for me to edit my post - would you like to have her review and get back to me with the necessary revisions so it reflects the "proper" verbiage?

:biggrin1:

Gosh, I wish I had known that!

But, it's still not too late for me to edit my post - would you like to have her review and get back to me with the necessary revisions so it reflects the "proper" verbiage?

:biggrin1:

I think we're good. I'll just bask in this glory for as long as I can. No sense in spoiling it. :dancer:

I think we're good. I'll just bask in this glory for as long as I can. No sense in spoiling it. :dancer:
Gore, I think that's absolutely the correct thing to do!

Ooops...:doh:

:laugh:

The marinade I used (was posted on here) had grated pear in it...and it is a tenderizing agent. They were tender and delicious...cooked hot and fast.

As others have said, you want them thin, less than 1/2". Can't tell how thick they are, but maybe you could butterfly them. You should cook them over medium high coals, turning frequently. You can cross score them so they will absorb more marinade. Also 24+ hours seem rather long. You don't want them to be mushy. Do NOT cook low and slow.

Back