THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Found this recipe in "In the Charcuterie" and had been wanting to give it try for a while now. Didn't take quite as many pics as I meant to, but had enough for the sake of a post.

Ran a couple of butts the grinder for this as well as a couple of other projects. 16 lbs of pork on the coarse grind.

Only used 3 pounds for this project. Ran about 40% of it back through the grinder on a smaller grind for this one.

For the spices, I ran black peppercorns, a cardamom pod, and oregano through the spice grinder (that is the black stuff on the right hand side) and combined that with hot paprika, sugar, cure #1, mace, and garlic. Also salt and ice water, but they were camera shy.

Mixed the spices with the meat and stuffed that into hog casings. Had a blowout which made for a couple of links instead of a longer ring. Put all that in the fridge to mellow out over night. Pulled them out the next morning for a date with the smoker.

Into the smoke they go.....ran it at 180 with hickory for the smoke.

Don't remember now exactly what the IT was when I pulled them out, but it was 140+ and then stuck them into an ice bath to stop the cooking.

Had one link left out for quality control purposes. :becky:

Very pleased with the end result. This recipe is a keeper. :thumb:

Back