Koji experiment phase II; didn't die again

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
This second experiment with koji wasn't nearly as exciting as the first described here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286243

Essentially, I repeated what has been done in a few prior posts. Since it is a fairly common dry-age-in-refrigerator set-up, I didn't take pictures except the finished produce, which looks much more appetizing than the previous experiment. I had a bag of koji infused rice which may or may not be the one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Iseso-IseSo-...rds=koji+rice&qid=1602442547&s=grocery&sr=1-2

A relatively small amount of this was ground in a coffee grinder and two NY strip steaks were thoroughly coated. These were place on a grate in the fridge for 3 days. Instructions said 2, but we were eating the other steaks on night two and didn't figure an extra day would kill us. After the 3 days, I took them out, rinsed the rice mixture off thoroughly and patted them dry, seasoned and grilled (no trimming):

rnu5Fgn.jpg

As you can tell, they look much more appetizing than the other steaks. They also were delicious. They had a much more impactful taste, not entirely like a dry-aged steak, but not dissimilar either. I was a little surprised actually, as I was not expecting much difference, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife, who is much more discerning than I am, also enjoyed them, but did not that there was a tiny rice flavor to them, perhaps not surprising. My next bite, I did notice the slight rice flavor, but entirely delicious.

Anyway, again didn't die.

You do realize the phrase, ‘if at first you don’t succeed’ doesn’t actually need to apply to EVERY situation?

Your a surviver mate, very interesting experiment
I use rice a fair bit to remove moisture from Electrics, next time weigh the meat before and after

I always knew you were a fun guy!

You're right - these strips look much mo' bettah' than the last pair.

Interesting experiment. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Third time's the charm as they say. :p Good looking grub. Much tastier looking than the previous one.

This string of successful survivals can't keep going forever.

I think I'd just take the t shirt and call it good.

Back