Know your Texas Chili? What do you think of this recipe?

N

Nomo4me

I like the look of this recipe: http://crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com/hub/The-Worlds-Best-No-Beans-Chili

I'm thinking of 3 changes:
1. Char up my own anaheim peppers instead of using canned.

2. Do authentic Texas chili recipes ever call for dried chilis? We have a mexican market close by that has all manner of them. I don't want gut-busting heat but would like include some of these. Maybe inclusion of some dried new mexico chilis run through the blender?

3. Instead of cubed brisket I want to use pulled smoked chuck roast. I could smoke until 165 then simmer in the sauce until pullable, then pull it and reassemble.

I'm looking forward to doing my first Texas Chili - any help is appreciated.

I don't add beer or tomatoes to what I consider to be Texas Chili. I do use dried chile peppers, ground fine, to make my own chile powder. Your changes sound good to me.

You'll get lots of different opinions on this.

I often use a mix of both fresh roasted peppers and dried chiles. At times I'll roast a poblano, jalapeno and a serrano or two to dice and throw in.

Of the dried peppers, I frequently use Ancho(dried poblano), pasillo, chipotle and sometimes guajillo(or New Mexico). My method there is to get out the cast iron skillet, and get it very hot over med high heat on the stove, I put the chiles on there for about 10 secs per side to lightly toast them. Don't burn. Then I'll dump enough water in the skillet to cover the peppers and let them sit for about 30 minutes. Seed and remove membrane and or skin from re-hydrated peppers if desired, then put in food processor with 1/2 to 1 cup of water beef or chicken stock and 2 - 5 cloves of garlic. Blend to a puree, and add as desired to chili.

I've never cooked competition(though I'd like to try it), but I think they usually tend to use dried ground chiles and pre prepared chili powders. Often adding the spices/chilies in several dumps throughout the cook. Usually 2 or 3. The reason behind using the dried ground stuff is the consistency offered over using fresh, or even re-hydrated.

A word of caution over using the pulled beef. I think the flavor would be awesome, but use care as to when you add it. I once used pulled pork in a chili, but added it much too soon. After it simmered all the day, the pork had all but turned to mush, and gave the chili a less than desirable consistency. That said, it did taste good. IF I was to do that again, I'd wait till the last hour or so before eating to add it into the chili.

Here's a recipe from the Dizzy Pig website, that I've tinkered with a few times. It's not Texas Chili in the purist sense, but it's darn good. I swap or add chilies, spices or meat based on what I have on hand.

Ingredients

1.5 lbs. Ground beef
3 tbsp Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.
Oil for browning
3 Dried Pasilla Chilies
2 Cloves garlic (or more)
1 Large sweet onion coarsely chopped (or more)
1 Quart Beef Broth
1 tbsp Whole cumin seeds (toasted)
1 tbsp ground New Mexico Chili or other pure ground chilies to your heat preference. Not a blended "chili powder".
2 cans beans (mix and match kidney, black, pinto, red, white)
2 cans diced tomatoes
Couple squares of dark chocolate
Masa flour to thicken (if needed)
Directions:
Shake about half the Cow Lick onto the beef and toss.

Cut Pasilla Chilies open and remove seeds, and soak them in warm water until softened and rehydrated. About an hour.

Place chilies and water into a blender, add the garlic and puree. Reserve.

Toast cumin in pan until fragrant.

Chop onion, gather ingredients and use a mortar/pestal to grind your toasted cumin into power.

Brown beef in dutch oven (cast iron is best). Do small batches over high heat so that meat actually browns, and don't stir until the meat starts to caramelize. Reserve and brown the next batch.

Remove browned meat from pan. Okay to leave a few bits in the pan.
Then add onion and a little salt and stir while scraping the brown bits from the pan. This "fond" is packed with flavor, and is part of making a great pot of chili.

Once onion is cooked soft, about 5 minutes, add your browned beef back tho the pan.

Pour in your chili/garlic puree, the beef broth, tomatoes, then add the cumin, pure ground chilies and the remainder of the Cow Lick and stir well.

Bring to a simmer, uncovered, and cook for about a half hour to an hour until all it starts to thicken. Then add beans and stir well.

Cook another half hour or more until desired thickness is achieved. If needed, thicken with a little masa flour, which also adds a pleasant corn tortilla flavor.
Add chocolate and stir.
Add more Cow Lick if needed for a fresh peppery bite.

that recipe sounds good enough. I would not use smoked chuck. I do not like the excessive smoke flavor in chili. I feel it takes away from the flavor profile. The 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate sounds interesting. Nothing wrong adding beer and tomatoes to Texas chili. I use a mixture of beer and beef broth. Dried chilis are very good and can be used in place of chili powder. Just simply rehydrate them and emulsify. I prefer to use a quality chili powder. You can get ancho powder from Penzy's which is very good.

I think I'm on board with you on the smoke messing with the other flavors. That brings up the issue of pulled vs cubed beef. I think pulled seems appealing. Do honest to gosh Texans ever do pulled or is cubed really the only authentic choice for chile?

I'm ok with the chocolate as it's a vital ingredient in many moles and Texas chili seems to be another take on that theme.

Thanks for the replies guys. This will be a fun project.

that recipe sounds good enough. I would not use smoked chuck. I do not like the excessive smoke flavor in chili. I feel it takes away from the flavor profile. The 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate sounds interesting. Nothing wrong adding beer and tomatoes to Texas chili. I use a mixture of beer and beef broth. Dried chilis are very good and can be used in place of chili powder. Just simply rehydrate them and emulsify. I prefer to use a quality chili powder. You can get ancho powder from Penzy's which is very good.

We compete in chili often and with a reasonable level of success. We competed last weekend in a two catagory competetion and walked away with 1st & 2nd place trophies. Chili is like gumbo, unless you are competing make it work for you. I personally rehydrate dried ancho peppers as my chili base. I cut them lengthways with kitchen shears and remove the stems and seeds. For 2.5-3 # of meat use around 8-10. Cover with water and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Let steep for at least 30 minutes and remove from heat. Place hydrated peppers in a blender and add steeping liquid until peppers are just covered. You can now add additional spices or vegetables to the blender; onions, garlic jalapenos, etc. Blend all ingrediets amd this will yield a wonderful deep redish/brown paste. Marinte meat with this mixture and add to pot as chili simmers. As far as meat goes, it is my preferance to hand cut my chili meat. If this is allowed, I will cube an entire brisket in 3/8" x 3/8" cubes. This will take about an hour but is definitely worth it. You will also need 2.5-3 hours of simmer time. As far as vegetables go I do smoke my tomatoes jalapenos, onions, serranos and garlic. About 250 for around an hour with oak and pecan will give the chili just enough background flavor to be different.
Again these are just some of my preferences. For competing the CASI rules normally apply. Some competetion requirements normally are a "chili grind" on the meat. No fillers at all ie; beans, pasta, rice, etc. The "gravy" must be smooth (no chunky vegetables).

Steve

First of all, I am pleased to see that the first ingredient is no beans.
I prefer cubed chuck for the meat, I do use dried anchos, poblamos and guajillos that I toast up like smokefan, rehydrate and then blend into a puree. Over the years I have developed at least 2 or 3 spice dumps that I add periodically during the cook. I always throw in a can of rotel, even if I am using a few freshly chopped up jalepenos. I go for a darker brew like Mondelo Negro. If near the end it needs a little kick, I float a habenero on top for a while and maybe even add some chipoltes adobo.
The recipe you have above looks like it would make a nice bowl of Texas Red for openers, and you can start with that and tweak it as you wish. It's not rocket surgery and you can develop your own recipe over time.
Good luck and enjoy.

I thought chili in Texas was around 60 degrees F?

Seriously though I'm enjoying this thread and the input since I don't think I've ever had true Texas chili. All I can say is, stay away from Cincinatti...

I'm pretty much with SmokeFan. I prefer to make my own chile concentrates from either dry or fresh pods. I use the powdered stuff for color along with paprika. The dry store bought powder stuff also adds its own flavor. I use dry NM red, a little chipotle, dry pasilla, ancho and for the heat I add some of my tepin and chile de arbol. The key is in the boil. The boil will soften the fresh meat if you start out with fresh, and the boil concentrates the flavors by evapping the water moisture. If you are using smoked/cooked, which personally I feel makes the best damn chili for home consumption. I don't think smoked and cooked is allowed in comp chili. Anyhow, smoked pork, chuck and especially brisket makes for some awesome chile and if you use the right amount of heat and peppers will not overpower the chili flavor but very much compliment it. I also like to brown the meat first in bacon grease. I add the crispy bacon at the end of the boil for more flavor and contrast. I've even made chili with leftover hamburger patties. Like others have said, if you use precooked, toss it in at the end so it doesn't turn to mush. Floating a habanero, jalapeno or serrano at the end gives a nice profile too. Another key is using fresh garlic and onion. I don't care for the powders too much. Sautee some onion and garlic and then puree. Use the puree vs powders. Some damn good stuff. Now I'm hungry. And, for whatever reason, I think cooking it in a Dutch over hot coals add to the experience. I also stay away from tomato and beer. The beer leaves a flavor that can detract from the chili flavor. I'd rather get my beer fix straight from the bottle. If I made the batch too hot for others to enjoy, I will separate some and add tomato sauce to tone it down for them. Cumin is an important flavor, and I like to add curry to mine. I've used chocolate and mole pastes before also, but didn't really like the profile of the sweet. Beans.........well, I like em in it or not. But some large red kidney beans add a nice contrast to some good chili.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I think I have a handle now on how I'll go about this. I'm only certain of one thing: when I get done I'll be say "damn this is good, but next time I'll............."

I use dried chili peppers as well, like the others describe, soak then blend. Sometimes I strain the blended chili puree, other times I don't. Supposedly, straining will remove some of the bitter flavors.

I try to keep the recipe simple. Chili peppers, meat, onions, garlic. I do like to vary the types of meat (i.e., mix beef and sausage, or fry beef in bacon fat).

I don't add beans to my chili, but do something even more heretical- Sometimes, I add corn!!! Yes, corn. I like the frozen sweet corn you can buy in bags at the grocery store. Much better than beans IMHO. I've gotten lots of rave reviews from friends, etc. Of course, I don't compete...

I use dried chili peppers as well, like the others describe, soak then blend. Sometimes I strain the blended chili puree, other times I don't. Supposedly, straining will remove some of the bitter flavors.

I try to keep the recipe simple. Chili peppers, meat, onions, garlic. I do like to vary the types of meat (i.e., mix beef and sausage, or fry beef in bacon fat).

I don't add beans to my chili, but do something even more heretical- Sometimes, I add corn!!! Yes, corn. I like the frozen sweet corn you can buy in bags at the grocery store. Much better than beans IMHO. I've gotten lots of rave reviews from friends, etc. Of course, I don't compete...

Nothing wrong with corn in my book. If it tastes good, that's all that matters. If you like corn, try either garbanzos or hominy. Those add some texture and taste.
Chiludo is good stuff. My take on Mexican Menudo and Texas Chili.

Dang... it all sounds great! I see a pot of chili in my near future. Thanks everyone!! :thumb:

Dried Chilis - great. I'm guessing I'll reduce amt of store bought chili powder?

The spices in that recipe look right, although I prefer Fiesta to McCormick. About the only thing common to most Texas chili recipes is the spices -- there is a certain flavor profile that most of them have. Cumin is one of those flavors, but be careful, you can go from not enough cumin to oh crap very quickly if you are not careful.

Texas chili is usually either ground beef of cubed beef. I've not had any with pulled beef, that I can recall. But, it's your chili, so make it your way.

The beer will just thin out the chili, which is fine, but I wouldn't expect it to add much flavor to the party. I'd drink them, instead. And Corona? Make mine a Tecate or Dos Equis.

I've heard of people using chocolate, but I've never done it, or tasted chili made that way.

In some parts of Texas, chili is served on rice. In other places, it goes strait into the bowl by itself. However, the square of cornbread on the bottom of the bowl serving style is pretty tasty.

I'm not big into toppings on my chili, but sometimes add some shredded cheese. Also, don't go to heavy on the heat if you are serving a bunch of people, and like the recipe says, put a bottle of hot sauce out for the pepperheads, so they can make their own bowl as hot as they want.

BTW, I put beans in my chili, but I'm good either way.

CD

I do like a nice square of cornbread in the bottom of the bowl, that can be quite good.

I like doing a roasted poblano corn bread cooked an an iron skillet to go along with a bowl of red. Good stuff.

But when pressed for time, I'm just as happy pouring my chili over a bed of Fritos! :clap:

The key is in the boil. The boil will soften the fresh meat if you start out with fresh, and the boil concentrates the flavors by evapping the water moisture.

Hi Bob-

Are you boiling the meat or simmering the chili or...?

I get confused easily. :laugh:

Thanks a lot! (and great thread, BTW) :thumb:

Back