THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some good advice here. Next time I am in pigeon forge i will be going by smoky mountain knife works. I figure if I pick up one or two of the forschners at a time the back pocket won't feel it nearly as badly

as far as the knives needed allot of that depends on how you cook I think a good set to start from is as follows.

Chefs knife or santoku size dependent upon what is comfortable to you
Paring knife 3.5 - 4"
Boning knife
bread knife

Later you can add a slicer if you so need. Your chef or bread knife can do double duty until then.

I use Montana Knifeworks from Costco. Very inexpensive and great quality. These are the ones that I consider "essential"

12 inch slicer set...

6 inch boning...

A couple of paring knives...

And my personal favorite...the 7 inch Santoku...

Wusthof Classic series.

The most useful to me are the 6", 8", 10" chef knives and a small paring knife.

Wusthof isnt cheap but they are lifetime tools. I have some that are 26 years old. Like all high quality knives their hallmark isnt their ability to hold an edge forever. High quality knives are those that can be sharpened to be "scary sharp" and are balanced so that they feel good in your hand.

Just my opinion.

http://www.wusthof.com/en/classic.asp

I hae both Henckel and Wusthof, and the Wusthof are better. I wouldn't trade my Henckels for anything though, except maybe some more Wusthof.:cool: I could really use a Wusthof Chef knife.

For the Henckels I have:
8" Chef
5" Boning
8" Slicing
8" Bread
4" Paring

For the Wosthof I have
8" Santoku
10" Slicing

some good advice here. Next time I am in pigeon forge i will be going by smoky mountain knife works. I figure if I pick up one or two of the forschners at a time the back pocket won't feel it nearly as badly

That is how I have done it for years Craig. I have a bunch of Forschners now and plan to add more. Let me know when you go to SMKW and I will give you some cash to get me a couple more.

Man , that place have a lot of knives also next time you there stopp at the Lodge Outlet

For inside the house, I have a set of Wusthof Grand Prix II knives which I love. They are comfortable, balanced, and they hold an edge as well as any stainless steel knife I've had. If I had it to do over again, the only thing I would do differently is look at the Ikon series, for aesthetics. I keep them on magnet bars which I stained to match my cabinets and mounted to them. I love it. Don't think I'll ever use a knife block again. In November I needed a carving set and didn't really want the same thing I have. I looked at the Forschner Forged Professional carving set. I really liked the shape and read good reviews of it, but couldn't find any one who stocked it locally. I decided in stead to buy a Shun carving set, but before I could pick it up, I was told I was crazy to spend that much on a knife, so I didn't get anything:( Point of the story, Wusthof, good. Shun, Really Good, but expensive. Forschner, Looks good, but is actually more expensive than Wusthof for 8 piece block on Amazon!

For outside the house (Camping, comps, etc) I have a set of white handle, Dexter-Russell (ish), food service knives that I picked up mostly at Sam's club. Forschner also has a line of similar quality knives (Fibrox). These are blah. Not as balanced, not as comfortable, but they do sharpen like a razor. These are great though because I don't care what happens to them. I transport these in a knife roll, but am considering getting a form of portable magnet bar.

By far I use my chef's knife more than any other. It serves primary duty slicing and dicing veggies. For slicing meats, it splits even time with my santoku and boning/utility knife. If I had to limit myself to three knifes, I would probably keep my 8" Chef's knife, 6" utility/wide boning knife, and my 3.5" paring knife. I like my other knives, but those do the most for me. A thin blade boning knife is nice, and would be more fourth, but I can live without it. It would also be hard to justify not having my scalloped utility knife. Of the them all, if I could only have one, it would be the 6" utility knife. I use it the least, but it's the most versatile. As it turns out, Wusthof has a Grand Prix II starter set which includes exactly these three knives for a really good price. Forschner has a couple of starter kits: One with the 8" carver in stead of 6", and one without that at all. In either case, the Forschner set is more expensive than the Wusthof. I think Forschner is good, but I don't think *I* would pay more for it than comparable Wusthof, but that's me.

dmp

Back