King of the Smoker

Trying to do the impossible and sum up the weekend in one sentence...

The King of the Smoker was an amazing celebration of charity and good will manifested via an epic barbecue contest like no other.

Details on this on my website soon. Thank you Sterling...

sounded and looked like a wonderful event and WOW the amount of money that was raised and donated back for competitors is Very impressive!

Sterling: Thank you for everything. Thanks to your staff and the endless hours they work to make sure everyone is taken care of. The La Quinta Resort and their entire staff were awesome. Thank you La Quinta! Thank you for allowing Operation BBQ Relief to be part of King of the Smoker. This was truly an amazing event, thanks again for everything.

This truly was an incredible experience! My husband has only been to a couple comps, and only for a few hours at that. So, at the post awards dinner, after an amazing weekend at La Quinta Resort he asked "Are all the competitions like this?" The clear and resounding response from everyone at the table- "NO!" He realized what a special event KOS is. We had our 2 Kids with us, (Matthew 7, Molly 3) and everyone was so nice to them. He was so blown away by the kindness of the staff & competitors to the guests and each other. He was overwhelmed by the clear vision Sterling has for the event; it being more than just a comp. Raising awareness and money for multiple charities like Operation BBQ Relief, Casey Lee Ball Foundation. Wanting spectators to feel welcome & educate them. Wanting the judging to really be about the food and the ability of the team to cook it, not about parsley. He took away with him what the bbq family is really about...family, (and food of course). Hopefully we can all take a bit of that vision with us to our comps in 2014. Be friendlier to the spectators, help raise awareness for a cause with the platform you are given, or take a newcomer under your wing.

Others before me have hit the nail on the head about King of the Smokers...so I will sum it up in two words..."BBQ Heaven"!
Cheers Big Poppa Smokers!

Exactly! I am just starting to come down to earth after getting home at 1 am yesterday. Every detail is just so above and beyond anything I have ever experienced as a BBQ'er is is overwhelming. Can't thank Sterling and the BPS crew enough for everything! :clap2:

I am still pinching myself!

I hear ya there Steph!.. Been so busy with work, and when I read that article it brought back the memories of that great event. People all over the BBQ community will soon realize just how prestigious of an event that is!! A lot already have. You heard that at the KCBS awards banquet, how a lot of teams were introduced in the awards that aspire to someday be invited to it. I feel very fortunate.

dang Im on the road and dont know my kcbs number so I cant read it online.....WOuld love to read Candy's take on it.

Back